Books for beginner+need advice(I'm after forum search)

M

magx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone.
I'm a beginner player who wan't to become a lot better player(who doesn't hehe). Anyway I thought about buying some books to begin my "journey" to become semi-pro :)
I play mostly SnG tournament and 90% of the time on the internet.

After a search i came up with those book names:
Dan Harringtons - Harrington on Holdem 1(then 2,3)
David Slansky's - Theory of Poker
Phil Gordons' - Little Green Book (then Little Blue Book)
*Mike Caro - Caro's Book of tells

Should I read those books and in the same order i wrote it for "best results"? Should I read something befor/after another and should I add some book(s) ?

The advice I need from you is these:
Its hard to memorize everything the books says and take it from theoretical to practical. Any advice here on how to do it ?

Thx a lot !

p.s
sorry for my poor English :)

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If I were you, I would start by reading our Poker Guide. It has a list of book reviews according to your level, plus a ton of great info for the beginning player.

Good luck, and welcome to Cardschat! :)

M

magx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I were you, I would start by reading our Poker Guide. It has a list of book reviews according to your level, plus a ton of great info for the beginning player.

Im not new to poker - I play few months/years but I never realy went "into it" - and this is what im looking to do now. Anyway ill check it and as I said I already did search on books and got the name of those books as the bests. Im just asking if I should add/remove something and in what order i should read them.

thx again :)

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And as JQ said, welcome to the forum, this is a great resource for those just starting out, it is full of friendly, knowledgeable, helpful folk & great information no matter what your present skill & experience levels. All the best to you.
If you feel you have a basic knowledge of the & your game I would suggest Harrington's books. They are very helpful for Mtt & SNG play.

M

magx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok after some more searches here is what i came up with:
first read:
Getting Started in Hold 'em, by Ed Miller

then:
Theory of Poker, by David Sklansky
Harrington on Hold 'em(1,2,3), by Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie
*Psychology of Poker, by Dr. Alan Schoonmaker

then:
Phil Gordons' - Little Green Book (then Little Blue Book)
Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players, by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth
*Caro's Book of poker tells, by Mike Caro

Is this oreder is the most efficient way ? Can i skip "Getting Started in Hold 'em" ? should i read TOP befor HOH(1,2,3) ? And should I add/remove any book(s)?

As I said befor im playing no limit holdem mostly SNG tournaments. Havent read any book yet.

thx :)

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't skip Getting Started!

You can skip Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players though. The rest of the list looks OK to me.

Wonka22

Wonka22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
another good read that is VERY short and gives alot of info, is reading what Chris "Jesus" Fergusen says on Full tilts website......What he says won't even fill up your screen, but, if you take it to heart, you'll do much better than you did yesterday....:)

M

magx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
another good read that is VERY short and gives alot of info, is reading what Chris "Jesus" Fergusen says on Full tilts website......What he says won't even fill up your screen, but, if you take it to heart, you'll do much better than you did yesterday....:)

link will be very good... thx:)

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are the recommendation I gave the OP. He would like comments on them, especially regarding the skipping of ToP and HoH at first:

Definitely get "Getting Started in Holdem" by Ed Miller first.

Next I would go with Little Green Book (or get Gordon's "set"-- all three in a nice little box set: Black, Green, and Blue; Black = Real Deal republished).

Skip ToP and especially NL Theory and Practice, as well as HoH series for now.

Let me know what you thing of "Getting Started" and Gordon's books; that will tell us your next step. If you found them to be very basic then you might be ready for some Sklansky. Otherwise there are some excellent books you can read in between before getting into the very theoretical books. You are going to want them eventually, but something like Vorhaus' "Killer Poker" series might be a better read first. Also, a good odds book like Hilger's "Texas Holdem Odds and Probabilities" would be an excellent investment.

So:
1. Getting Started in Holdem by Ed Miller
2. Little Green Book, by Gordon.
3. Little Blue Book, by Gordon.
4. Texas Holdem Odds and Probabilities by Hilger
5. Killer Poker by Vorhaus
6. Killer Poker No Limit by Vorhaus
7. Killer Poker by the Numbers by Guerrera

then and only then, and only IF you feel you digested the above:

8. Theory of Poker by Sklansky
9. HoH, 1-3 by Harrington

Also, but in no real order and as supplementals only not to replace any of the above: Little Black Book/Real Deal by Gordon, Killer poker online, Killer Poker Online II, and Killer Poker Holdem Handbook, all by Vorhaus.

Do NOT get Super System I or II, or NL T&P yet, they will be a waste of your time and money right now, and may even hinder your progress.

Hope that helps!