Books about tournaments and ICM

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TL;DR: Do you know any good tournaments strategy books, especially the ones that cover ICM?

When I started playing poker, I realised that for me tournaments are much more interesting than cash. The fact, that I also done better in tournaments than in cash was only encouraging me to play more of them. But I quickly realised that I do better in them most probably because they are softer than cash games and loose (too) aggressive style worked for me, even though it was not always the best play (despite good results).

I progressed a lot since then, but still I feel like my knowledge on tournaments has a lot of holes especially when it comes to ICM and applying pressure.

Do you know any good book for tournaments players?

I have already read Strategies for Beating Small Stakes Poker Tournaments and Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen. Former is quite interesting for a beginner, but it mainly focuses on the player types, it doesn't cover ICM at all. The later is also very interesting, but it is one specific tourney review, which is fun to read, but not very helpful on developing solid tournaments strategy.

Do you know any good tournaments strategy books, especially the ones that cover ICM?

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been browsing around myself for a new read.
This might help...
http://www.parttimepoker.com/book-review-the-myth-of-poker-talent-by-alexander-fitzgerald

This is primarily a tournament book. And so Chapter 15 is aptly titled “Tournament Theory.” This is a great section to read on its own before playing an important big buy-in tournament. I think it will get players in the correct mental zone.

Alex discusses the nature of variance and how to accept it. He covers the general basics of ICM (The Independent Chip Model) and the risk versus reward nature of tournaments that differentiate them from cash games.

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been browsing around myself for a new read.
This might help...
http://www.parttimepoker.com/book-review-the-myth-of-poker-talent-by-alexander-fitzgerald

This is primarily a tournament book. And so Chapter 15 is aptly titled “Tournament Theory.” This is a great section to read on its own before playing an important big buy-in tournament. I think it will get players in the correct mental zone.

Alex discusses the nature of variance and how to accept it. He covers the general basics of ICM (The Independent Chip Model) and the risk versus reward nature of tournaments that differentiate them from cash games.

Thank you. Same issue here. Will be sure to check it out.