Board Reading

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I found that my board reading just wasn't what it should have been. I wasn't thinking all the possible hands through,sometimes not even thinking at all. Something drastic needed to be done to rectify the situation.
If anyone else is in a similar situation I can reommend the cure. Play some Omaha games for a few days. It sorted me out, because you have to think about all possibilities for all and every hand, from flop, turn through to the river. You just cannot escape the thought process if you want to stay in the game. Try it for yourselves.. It will keep you concentrated and thinking.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rigor Mortis.

Great advice. I love switching to Omaha, as it really does focus your reading of the board and really helps in terms of contrition and interpretation of what is going down.

Good luck at the tables.

BB

jovan123

jovan123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I found that my board reading just wasn't what it should have been. I wasn't thinking all the possible hands through,sometimes not even thinking at all. Something drastic needed to be done to rectify the situation.
If anyone else is in a similar situation I can reommend the cure. Play some Omaha games for a few days. It sorted me out, because you have to think about all possibilities for all and every hand, from flop, turn through to the river. You just cannot escape the thought process if you want to stay in the game. Try it for yourselves.. It will keep you concentrated and thinking.
Reading the board properly and decicevly is one of the most difficult yet important aspects of poker and often times takes years to get good at....and in those years it could become a costly venture but one that needs to be learned for effective and more important profitable sessions

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I miss read boards sometimes. Most of the time, I get tunnel visioned because I flop a monster and I'm looking to extract as much value as possible. But then, I'll end up in a situation where I bust out with 70+ BBs with a top set of kings against a straight and all I can say to myself is "Oh, yeah! 710 makes a straight on that board."

It's happened.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is true that playing in several formats can improve your game. But the best way to quickly advance and boost your level of play is to watch strategic videos and apply them in your game. It's always a good strategy to take your time before each decision is made. because with fatigue. we make mistakes that we can avoid by simply taking the time to think carefully about each spot.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Here is a video that will help a lot with this

The main thing is to consider all the possible draws, how likely your opponent is to have connected with the board (remember people play many more high card hands than low card hands), and good exercises are

#1 Listing out what the nuts on the board are
#2 Listing out the number of outs the STRONGEST draw would have on the flop