Bluffing Paired Boards

T

Tiny Boost

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im in a tourney

i get dealt A9 off suit in the SB it gets folded round to the button (crazy guy!) open jamming 2 hands in a row he raises to 256 80/160 blinds i 3bet to 660 he calls we go to the flop heads up

Flop 10 10 8 two diamonds he bets 1445 into me he definitely hasn't got a 10 so i jam pots like 7k he tanks for a minute then calls he has 8 7 off did i make a good play overall or was i reckless

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im in a tourney

i get dealt A9 off suit in the SB it gets folded round to the button (crazy guy!) open jamming 2 hands in a row he raises to 256 80/160 blinds i 3bet to 660 he calls we go to the flop heads up

Flop 10 10 8 two diamonds he bets 1445 into me he definitely hasn't got a 10 so i jam pots like 7k he tanks for a minute then calls he has 8 7 off did i make a good play overall or was i reckless
Hello, welcome to the Forum. I think it would be better and easier to review this hand if you post in this forum: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-hand-analysis-51/
It is a suitable forum for hand analysis. I've been looking at your post history and you have some hands on analysis, I do not understand where you got lost. up until

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you were slightly on tilt about this guy. If he has nothing, but you have nothing either, why would you raise that high? Sure he wouldn't fold if he's that crazy. Let him bet you out and get back when you have a hand.

R

ricardibreezer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's probably too loose in tournament play - but bluffing paired boards is usually a profitable cash game strategy, depending on 1. Table image & 2. The card that pairs.

If your table image is tight and the flop comes QQ5 then sure, you could be given credit for a Q. If you are loose and it comes 66J, then again, you could make it believable you hold a 6 if you've been seen to showdown low suited connectors, etc.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am concerned when you say he definitely does not have a 10. Okay, I assume he has AJ or AQ. You have what, an Ace high! Okay. The dude did not even need a 10 to have you beat , heck he did not have any face cards. You are basically raising this guy when you and him have any 2 cards. That's called gambling in my book. Which means you are gonna win some and you are going to lose some when you go out gambling.

C

colbear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why only a 10

I dont really understand why you are only concerned about a 10 , What about AJ TO AK
what about 22 to AA what about flush and straight draw so many hands you are in bad shape against here wild player or not . Terrible you only beat complete air here

T

Tiny Boost

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your insight no offence taken im here to learn the reason i say he didn't have a 10 is because he had a 50 vpip so he could theoretically have a 10 some of the time but in my experience studying if you donk bet the flop on a paired with fishsy stats you aint got it just dont make sense your only getting called by better or open the door for me to put you to the test haha :D surely you would check and keep all my bluffs in? thats my thinking

T

Tiny Boost

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i tried repping the 10 considering i 3 bet preflop and he donk leads was it a good spot i could have pairs too ?

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's the best, especially if the person you are against recently took a bad beat, they just know you have it!

IcyNicy

IcyNicy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you wanted to jam you better did it pfr. But I myself don't think it would be a great idea considering your hand. It's his business how to waste his stack, so that's why he jammed his two previous hands. And by the way in those hands he could have nuts and didn't want to play them. A9 for me is defenately the hand which I would ford no matter what

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds pretty reckless to me. You have a completely good hand to fold in the SB. Why you choose to play such a poor hand from that spot is beyond myself. I don't have a problem with his first bet. Your 3-bet is fine as well.
After the flop you say he "bets into you" but you should've been first to act. Your bet preflop needs a c-bet here. If you checked then you're giving up control of the pot. And there is no way that you know he "definitely hasn't got a T". His bet is inline with a normal c-bet. However your "jam" screams "I don't have it" but I want to buy this pot. I guess he knows "you definitely don't have a T". Either way the lesser of two mistakes someone is coming out on top. Both play substandard but I would classify your play as reckless. Don't worry, continue to learn. We've all been there.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think the idea on paired boards is to never go overboard with your bluffs, as if the opponents has air, it likely he won't call even a small bet and if he has it and you go aggressive he might just get a double up if he has it

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was necessary to calm down, and play against it with a pocket, or play on the flop, and so he always bluffs you out.

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with button play is if there wasn't much action prior than 8/7o isn't a terrible hand to see a flop, esp considering he already put in 1/3 of your raise. It's a loose call, even in position but, as you stated already he's already a bit of a maniac so you should expect this of him from the button.

Your 3-bet out of position is a little confusing given your hand against somebody that raised behind you. Personally I would've just preferred a call for a few reasons:
- If you hit, your hand is well hidden and you can let the aggressive player hang themselves
- If you brick on an ugly board, you can get away cheap.

Most say to fight fire with fire when it comes to loose aggressive players however, you're out of position with an 'okay' hand to start off with - so just calling his micro raise would've probably been a better option, esp against a maniac in position.

As for the shove - it's an alright play, but you need to consider ranges and the players. Shoving when you've bricked against somebody that's loose and late is just asking for trouble. I would've just let it go.

My two cents.