Bluff Bet Sizing

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi you all. GL today. I got a question here. When you are bluffing against one or two players (not any more) do you bet big or try a small raise? I have found that a small raise (like half the pot) is just as good as a big raise. Besides that, if I do get called, I won't be very deep out there, and I won't lose a lot of money if I have to fold.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi you all. GL today. I got a question here. When you are bluffing against one or two players (not any more) do you bet big or try a small raise? I have found that a small raise (like half the pot) is just as good as a big raise. Besides that, if I do get called, I won't be very deep out there, and I won't lose a lot of money if I have to fold.

Thank you for posting

bluff sizing is always dependent on board texture and villain tendencies.

There is math behind bluffing as well if we bluff 25% sizing we only need it to work 1-4 of the time if we bluff pot we need it to work 1 of 2 etc.

If they fold to 50% try 45% you will save more and your villains will most likely not notice the difference and fold at the same frequency.

Hope this helps
:):)

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply eetenor, and yes it makes a lot of sense and helps. What do you think when a player makes an all in move against the blinds? And at my level, that's about 15 cents LOL

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never noticed the pattern of my bluffing. I do it from intuition.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Against some opponents, there will be more fold equity when stakes is small :D
Once on NL2 i won pot of about 1$ by placing 2cent bet on bluff against 3 opponents )))

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the reply eetenor, and yes it makes a lot of sense and helps. What do you think when a player makes an all in move against the blinds? And at my level, that's about 15 cents LOL

Thank you for responding

I am not sure what you mean it would help if you included the following information

Position of Villain
preflop shove or flop etc
stack size of villain and effective stack size
if tournament what stage?

As a rule of thumb shoving versus the blinds only makes sense when stealing blinds in late stages of tournaments.

The blinds have 2 random hands so if we have premium holdings we would want to get called by one of the blinds with a good but weaker range. Especially if we have a skill advantage.

As to calling a shove when I am in the blinds at the stake level you suggest I would have a very premium range as at your stake level players will shove AA KK QQ thinking they will be called by worse.

No need to gamble when we have paid the blinds and are about to have the best position and play better post flop than our villains.

Any time we take coin flip spots we are leveling the skill advantage to 0 we make money applying our skill advantage over and over.

That does not mean we do not take coin flip spots if we have 50% equity and the pot is offering more than that than we can enter the pot.

Hope this helps
:):)