Blow Up Hands

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the problems I have in both cash and tournaments is that I have a small amount of hands where I absolutely implode. I'm talking about having played well for hours and then in one hand I blow it all in a tournament or in like 2 or 3 hands out of 5 consecutive in cash. Wondering if anyone has some tips to overcome this.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have encountered it where I have like AK vs villains 88 and I lose. Then next hand I get 88, so I play it like villain did. Opponent has AK, and my 88 loses and I am out of chips. It's a head scratcher. Saying what if I won those 2 hands instead of losing those 2 hands.

I usually got into the situation because I sat out 30 hands worth of crap cards and finally got something that resembled a hand worth playing.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not as much overcommitting, commit along the way

While you're being patient, you let a lot of playable hands go by that keep you in the game mentally. The 76o, 98o, 87o, may not be the "killer cards", but they do play, have their place, for a sized bet.

If you are usually a super TAG player, loosen up along the way. Play more hands that are in a rigger range, bet sized correctly, some value, if you hit. As you do this, you will be much more comfortable winning and losing less than all-in bets. You may have more success, since you aren't relying on 50-50; all or nothing.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty broad description - I think perhaps you should single some example hands out and post them in the hand review sections to help determine the root cause of the problems.

We could be dealing with overplaying marginal made hands, could be dealing with standard flips that just aren't going your way, would be bluffing at the wrong times, coolers, etc.

Especially in tournaments this can be normal, it sucks to play for hours on end and then bust out in one hand but such is tournament poker. Anyhow, as I said, to get to the bottom of the problem would be helpful to have some example hands posted for review so we can determine what may be the cause of the problems.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands