zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Betting on the flop

At a 9 seat table, everyone in front folds, and hero raises from late position with: :8d4: :8h4:

BB calls.
Flop comes: :qs4::7d4::6h4:

BB checks, hero raises half pot.

What does hero's raise represent? Please vote and, if you'd like to, post a message explaining your choice. :ciao:

Last edited:
N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm assuming you have 88 I dunno why there's a 4 there! The bet represents a standard c bet!

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say it's both a continuation bet and a probing bet in this situation one equals the other:)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its actually a little of all 3. Its a continuation bet by definition since we raised preflop and are now continuing by betting on the flop. It is a value bet in part due to the fact that we are ahead of the likely range of the villain (hard to tell villains range in this example since there is not a raise size but I will stipulate 2.5x and against a villain who defends the big blind at least a moderate amount of the time). It is also part probe bet since we are not entirely sure what the villain has at this point since they could be defending quite wide. 88 usually beats them but Qx is not altogether out of the question so at least in part the bet is probing for information. However, of the 3 choices I think it is the least probe bet as probe bets are usually smaller than half pot and wouldnt normally be as strong as 88 on a board like this.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its actually a little of all 3. Its a continuation bet by definition since we raised preflop and are now continuing by betting on the flop. It is a value bet in part due to the fact that we are ahead of the likely range of the villain (hard to tell villains range in this example since there is not a raise size but I will stipulate 2.5x and against a villain who defends the big blind at least a moderate amount of the time). It is also part probe bet since we are not entirely sure what the villain has at this point since they could be defending quite wide. 88 usually beats them but Qx is not altogether out of the question so at least in part the bet is probing for information. However, of the 3 choices I think it is the least probe bet as probe bets are usually smaller than half pot and wouldnt normally be as strong as 88 on a board like this.

I agree with your rationale. Only one thing: by definition, a bet cannot be at the same time a continuation bet and a probe bet.

A continuation bet always comes from the original raiser, and even though it is used to get information it is never a probe bet.

A probe bet is similar to a continuation bet, but it has to come from a player who was not the preflop raiser.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree with your rationale. Only one thing: by definition, a bet cannot be at the same time a continuation bet and a probe bet.

A continuation bet always comes from the original raiser, and even though it is used to get information it is never a probe bet.

A probe bet is similar to a continuation bet, but it has to come from a player who was not the preflop raiser.

According to Upswing Poker definition - a probe bet is when you bet out of position into a player who had the opportunity to C-bet on prior street but didn't.can. Probing is only possible on the turn or river (leading into the preflop raiser from OOP on the flop is referred to as 'donk-betting')

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regardless of the situation of what he has in hand, it is a continuation of betting.
The hero is not making a put by value, much less probing, if there is the call, it is best to check and have a good control of pot!

Good luck at the tables!

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
represents a standard continuation bet.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm going to assume 100bb stacks and standard raise sizes preflop.

Hero is repping a better range than OOP villain. BB is likely 3 betting a lot of his better Queens, and even middling suited Queens. 76s is going to be 3bet sometimes, same as 77. We block 87, 98, although those can be 3bets as well so his flat already discounts them a bit.

Meanwhile, our range has all the Queens, KK+, sets, strong draws.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars