This is a discussion on Betting on Pairs???? within the online poker forums, in the Learning Poker section; Hey!!!!
I would like to know how much to bet on a pair n the pre-flop???? Raise or All-in?
It depends, If you got 2 2 3 3 up to 7 7 better just pay or cheq and hope for the Trips; If on the other hand, you got AA, KK, QQ you may Goo All in, depending on position. with 88, 99, 10 10 you may rise but pray at the same time.
You need to consider many varaibles: Cash Game or Tournament poker ? In a Tournament which Stage ( Early Middle close to the Bubble ) ? And with some Hands you want to have Value ( Premiums for example ) then jamming in early Position doesnt make Sense (except ur short) cuz maybe too many ppl behind you will fold ...
Take into account:
- your position (in late - play more agressive)
- how many players are at the table (less players - play more agr..)
- size of your stack (biger - play more agressive)
- opponent type at the table sitting after you (tight opponents - play more agressive)
- expected preflop range of opponents sitting before you (wide range - play more agressive)
- raise if you are first in on preflop (in late position - play more agressive)
- learn expected probability of set vs opponent higher cards (understanding - play more agressive)
- questionable situations (less doubt - more agressive)
Depends on stack size.
When deepstack 100 - 150 BB, set mining with lower pairs multiway makes more sense. Play more aggressively and try to get heads up with higher pairs as they lose equity multi-way.
With shortstack, set mining gets less attractive. Play aggressively if you can get opponents to fold over cards, or else try to play a small pot.
Really depends on which pair your holding, position and and previous raises or action. If their are other players are in the hand raising I'll typically call and see a cheap flop unless I've got kings or aces. I've I'm the first player to make a move preflop I would 3bb raise, if I'm in an early position I would 4bb raise
It all depends on the type of tournament, the position you are in, the number of your chips and the players at the table. If the tournament is hyper turbo, you can put all-in there from a pair of jacks and higher, if the speed of the tournament is normal, it is better to put 4-5 big blinds. This is a short answer to such a big topic, there are many factors that influence this.
CardsChat Summer League 2018: Belladonna's Brawlers 2ND> MVP 2ND PLACE