Z

zedsded

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
Please can someone advise?

It's a common occurrence for me to start off in mid - late position/on button, by raising a quite strong / very strong hand eg 88 to AA.

Pre-flop I tend to raise quite high to scare people off. This usually works and I face 2-3 others.

However, I find myself facing a flop with two cards of the same suit, and I have none of that suit.

It is probably obvious that I do not have the flush, and 'only' have a quite strong / very strong pair.

I know the odds are 11/47 (?) against me, so I have tried betting high to force more folds, but, esp. when blinds are low (and even when they are high), most/many/all (?) players will stay in 'flush hunting'.

I then set myself up for a potentially bigger loss, if the turn or river creates a flush.

Any thoughts - should I avoid a high bet, post-flop?
What % of pot should I bet?

Is it right that the odds are with me, just, as there are two opportunities of a 3rd card of the offending suit (11/47 + 11/46) - so a c.45% chance .

Assuming a 9 table, what are the odds of someone
a) having connectors,
b) then obtaining the flush?

Do I need to be so worried? If I get a bad beat, is that just unavoidable bad luck / the poker gods smiling on my opponent/s, and should I still play as if I am strong.
How should I bet if that 3rd card comes up on the turn / river.
Sorry for so many qns in one:) !

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you have a hud, the easiest place to start is to look at the villans fold to cbet

dobatibata

dobatibata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably bet 100% size pot, telling them/him/her that im the nuts in this moment, so step back. I usually don't chase flush up to river, only turn maybe. So if they are gamblers they will call you, you can 50% lose i guess, pokerstar software loves flushy boards :) if they are "normal" player they should be folding.
It is a bad thing, when flop is not on your side.
In 9table, almost every 2nd dealing someone has connectors, but doesn't mean they are in hand vs you.; Flush hands are in every 3rd hand, and it is much more likable option to call with, especially in cash games.

ChinooTW

ChinooTW

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bet 3/4 of the pot on flop, turn and if the flush is not conected only 1/3 on river if I think I´m winning and the other guy won´t pay more. I don´t want to make him fold (odds are up to you), I want to make him pay a high price to see cards.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not to answer the question exactly, but make sure you take notes. A HUD will not tell you which villains cant fold suited cards pre flop, or how they act when they make a flush.

If you are not taking detailed notes, you are doing it wrong.

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I am always all in preflop with AA, with small pair as u said 88 or any other, i just flat hope to see the flop for as cheap as i can hoping to hit my set, if i feel i am up against a flush draw i try to control the pot, but if third card of the same suit comes on the turn or river and i face a big bet, i know its painful but u have to let go of your hand, u r not married to it so let it go :D unless its a small bet and it would not cripple you much then a call is in order

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when im facing a 2 suit flop and think someone might be chasing flush i bet at min pot size if not more-even doing that some ppl will never fold when chasing a flush -its just the nature of the game-i think some savy players might fold to huge flop bet when chasing while alot of new ppl just wont lay it down-heck ive even chased a few flushes lol i think we all have when they hit you normally get nice pot,which is why ppl chase them

vjkask

vjkask

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends how much push other player is putting on pot. i have bluffed out many times with 4 cards same suit on table when not having that type, quite big pots :D

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to make chasing expensive.

Full Flush Poker Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars