Bet/Raise and Fold practice exercise

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WARNING: Not a standard video.

Meaning, it is not me playing a normal game. The video is only intended to demonstrate the way that I have practiced a particular exercise where I play a SnG without being allowed to call (except in limited situations. Actually, I watched the video and I accidentally called a min river bet without even noticing :embarasse)

There's almost no discussion of hands or position; I just play according to the restrictions. If you want to see what cards to play in what situation, watch one of Chuck's or Dorkus' videos.

Comments/questions welcome. btw, early on when I say a player seemed to be a decent player in spite of his donkey PT stats, it's because it's very early and the hands he had shown down to that point seemed reasonable. I don't generally think someone that has a VP$IP of 76% as being good :).

[broken link~tb]

Last edited by a moderator:
pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't get the video to download using the free download. Is pay needed?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very nice video. You have a very movie preview-esque voice.
As for the video, this is actually an approach I like to take myself when I play, but I allowed myself to call certain hands PF. Calling would be the last option, though. So, I would Fold most hands, bet/reraise, and call the least. I might try the no call method (except under certain conditions) your video explained.

A couple of questions:
How do you play PP like 88-1010 UTG with aggressive players behind you?

How do you play small pairs like 22-44 in mid position when no one else has entered the pot?

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Download worked today but not yesterday which was the day I signed up. This is the only download I have ever tried but yesterday it said I had exceded my limit (at zero?).

S

SpankYoAces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In Crisis

I feel that it is a crisis when you raise preflop with premium cards and get called down with b.s.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How is that a crisis? isn't that what you want to happen?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a very movie preview-esque voice.

Yikes, I have no idea how that connection comes about, but I'll take it as a positive.

As for the video, this is actually an approach I like to take myself when I play, but I allowed myself to call certain hands PF. Calling would be the last option, though. So, I would Fold most hands, bet/reraise, and call the least. I might try the no call method (except under certain conditions) your video explained.

A couple of questions:
How do you play PP like 88-1010 UTG with aggressive players behind you?

How do you play small pairs like 22-44 in mid position when no one else has entered the pot?

I think it can be used as a basis, especially for early SnG play, and I do take elements of it we me to real money games as well.

But it is just a practice exercise, not a recommended winning strategy.

As for the questions, you have more experience than I do, philthy, in the SnG settings, so I'm going to avoid answering your questions as they might apply to real games by limiting my answer to only these practice SnGs. :)

Over time in these exercises I've tried to open raise with various hands, just for the experience of doing so with 72o, 32o, etc, so I've probably raised as well as folded 22-44 from mid. And there are rarely aggressive players at these tables, except the freeroll mentality players shoving in the first orbit. Since I have to raise to play in this practice, I'll raise, and fold to repops since I can't call and don't want to shove with medium pairs.

And thanks for taking a look.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that it is a crisis when you raise preflop with premium cards and get called down with b.s.

Like philthy says, that's where you win more of their chips.

There will always be times that your big hand gets called by something like 75o that flops 2 pair, or worse yet flops one pair, calls your flop bet, and hits the second pair on the turn, but if it wasn't for variance, bad players wouldn't keep playing and there'd be no one to gain money from.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nick says I should be able to upload directly to CC now, so here goes a try ...

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very cool - insightful and thoroughly enjoyable to watch!

Folding in Poker