Best literature to improve your game

T

thmkrr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
New to the forum but played recreationally for around 10 years. I’m looking to improve my game and wonder which literature, guide etc I should be looking into to improve my overall game.

Looking forward to your thoughts and what you guys have read.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
New to the forum but played recreationally for around 10 years. I’m looking to improve my game and wonder which literature, guide etc I should be looking into to improve my overall game.

Hello
study the materials of the forum
here everything is available for those who want to develop in the game
there is also a staff of experts and ambassadors of the club who will always help in difficult matters

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what you want to play. Tournaments or cash games. For tournaments you can read Harrington, Jonathan Little, Cardschat 30 day course by Katie and Collın. For cash games you can read Peter Clarke, Alton Hardin, Mathew Janda

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve read a ton of books through lockdown and particularly enjoyed Harrington on hold em 1 and 2 and Phil Gordon’s little green book. Both gave a solid grounding of basics, although even as a novice I know some concepts are dated it is easy to understand and useful in starting to consider situations

I also loved 30 day course and Sit n Go by Collin Moshman very focussed and gives a clear strategy.

Struggled with Slansky’s Theory of Poker (I will probably be flogged for saying that!!!) and Ed Millar The Course.

Elements of poker was fascinating and great to read but not quite as educational and Jonathan Little’s books were good as audio books with the information coming thick and fast.

Lots I haven’t mentioned but thinks it’s time to end the book review and play the game!

Captain Harlock

Captain Harlock

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've enjoyed-
Super System 1 & 2 by Doyle Brunson
The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky
Power Hold'em Strategy by Daniel Negreanu
Poker Workbook by James Sweeny

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would also advise you to study the works of Nathan Williams regarding playing at micro stakes

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have mentioned, I would advise 'Harrington on hold em 1' to anyone looking to take poker seriously for the first time.
'Super system' has probably been read by the majority of serious poker players tbh. Imo it's a must-read.
After that I would suggest thinking of a pro player you like to watch and study any material they have out there!

Captain Harlock

Captain Harlock

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've enjoyed-
Super System 1 & 2 by Doyle Brunson
The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky
Power Hold'em Strategy by Daniel Negreanu
Poker Workbook by James Sweeny
I forgot to add to this-
What Every BODY is Saying by Joe Navarro

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve read a ton of books through lockdown and particularly enjoyed Harrington on hold em 1 and 2 and Phil Gordon’s little green book. Both gave a solid grounding of basics, although even as a novice I know some concepts are dated it is easy to understand and useful in starting to consider situations

I also loved 30 day course and Sit n Go by Collin Moshman very focussed and gives a clear strategy.

Struggled with Slansky’s Theory of Poker (I will probably be flogged for saying that!!!) and Ed Millar The Course.

Elements of poker was fascinating and great to read but not quite as educational and Jonathan Little’s books were good as audio books with the information coming thick and fast.

Lots I haven’t mentioned but thinks it’s time to end the book review and play the game!

I like all of those. Except The Coarse and only because I have not read that one.

Really depends on what you are trying to improve. General poker, the above are all great and I have used Dan Harrington Vol 3 many times to get my head back where it needs to be.

Little Green Book is the best for a fresh beginner. Its an easy and fun read that gets you introduced to basic concepts without overwhelming.

On the flip side, Sklansky's book Theory of Poker is a very dry and strenuous read, but full of great information. You really need to (and I recommend doing this with any poker book anyway) break it down into small parts. Read, apply, reread, reapply, and repeat until you really bang home the concepts.

The Mental Game of poker is great if you need to learn to control all the emotions and thoughts that come into poker.

Another great book is The Middle Zone by Annie Duke. I know, people seem to really dislike her and I am not saying her and her brother have had the cleanest pasts. However,she still put together a great book that really targets how to handle those marginal situations where we tend to lose the majority of our chips. Take advantage of Covid, put on a full mask so no one sees you and buy the book.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks to everyone recommending the 30 day course!

All of Ed Miller’s books are great — he explains things very well. The HoH series is a classic. Super System is pretty old at this point but fun to read and really hammers in the benefits of aggression. He also talks about my favorite character in poker, Broomcorn’s Uncle, who is so tight he gets ante’d to death [emoji3]

Top 10 Games