Best books for beginners published 10 years ago or less?

S

synkop223

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I've been looking for books to read in order to improve my game. I play online micro stakes sit n go's and tournaments (~<1$).
Most of the recommended books for begginers were written in the 80's or 90's, and while I understand that the basics of poker remain relevant, I'd still like to read other books that teach more up-to-date strategies, more in line with the current metagame . I'll still read some of the classics, but I'd like to find a couple more that were published more recently, 10 years ago at most.
Mastering Small Stakes No-Limit Hold'em by Jonathan Little is the only recently published book that seems to be widely recommended, so it's already in my wishlist.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start with one coach

Hi, I've been looking for books to read in order to improve my game. I play online micro stakes sit n go's and tournaments (~<1$).
Most of the recommended books for begginers were written in the 80's or 90's, and while I understand that the basics of poker remain relevant, I'd still like to read other books that teach more up-to-date strategies, more in line with the current metagame . I'll still read some of the classics, but I'd like to find a couple more that were published more recently, 10 years ago at most.
Mastering Small Stakes No-Limit Hold'em by Jonathan Little is the only recently published book that seems to be widely recommended, so it's already in my wishlist.

Thanks for posting.

You will not go wrong with Jonathan Little's books. Follow up by watching his youtube channel, follow him on twitter and sign up for his emails. He has great free resources. Then when you can pay for his coaching do that too.

Hope this helps

:):)

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Excelling at No-Limit Hold’em by Jonathan Little is the one I recommend. It’s got a bunch of other pros involved with writing it

C

crimsonshroud88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd suggest reading articles online instead of a book from 2008 or something.
Articles are shorter, way more up-to-date and usually contain some screenshots explaining crucial points via software.
You can also target your weakest spot right away.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is also a lot of free video material on Youtube and elsewhere. He is mostly a cash game player, but the largest winner ever in the micros is Blackrain79, so check his Youtube channel and webpage.

He also wrote, what is probably still the best book for beginners, since it is focused on the stakes, which beginners play, but again the emphasis is on cash games. Its called Crushing The Microstakes. Some of the strategies suggested does not work so well any more, because online games have matured and developed, but most of the advice in the book is still valid and usefull today.

SANTIJOTA8

SANTIJOTA8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good books for beginners from the last 5 years:

• Your Poker Mastermind Vol. 1: General FAQs – Ben Hayles
  • Your First Poker Book - Doug Hull
  • A Girl’s Guide to Poker – Amanda Botfeld.
  • Winning Poker In 30 Minutes a Day – Ashley Adams
  • Basic Training: Beginner’s Guide To Texas Hold’em – Tyler Nals