Besides quitting what you guys do when feeling hopeless or down after running badly?

cardzilla1991

cardzilla1991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently i have been trying to start up and build a bankroll but every time i get to the end of a tourney i seem to bubble out. At least five or six times in a row i have bubbled out. Including two or three that were one seat and i get to heads up and bubble. I am curious what you guys do other than quitting for a min. What you do when you are running like this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get some chips before the bubble, when everyone is playing tight. Min Cash is not worth the sweat! When you're out, you're out, but many times you will chip up and be in a good position for ITM-Game.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Recently i have been trying to start up and build a bankroll but every time i get to the end of a tourney i seem to bubble out. At least five or six times in a row i have bubbled out. Including two or three that were one seat and i get to heads up and bubble. I am curious what you guys do other than quitting for a min. What you do when you are running like this ?
if you are getting to the bubble frequently you are on the right path to moving up.
if you're just running bad nothing can change it.
on you to decide if running bad or playing bad. never hurts to watch some videos or
read some posts here at CC. best of luck ;)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Have you ever asked your self why I am bubbling out so much? You maybe running badly or variance is against you but could it be your doing? If you really short every time are you just hanging on or looking to get chips. There are people out there will fold hand they should push with just to get that min cash. Getting a cash is great but not winning poker. When I run like this I look at my play to see if its my fault. Many times, i find out it is.

cardzilla1991

cardzilla1991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you for the advice i have always been old school in my approach like hands on and like books and things such as that. I am beginning to start reviewing hands and things i have played. guess i should have specified these bubbles have mainly been in satellite mtts. but i like your approach i should start by looking at the stuff that i can change (like my play)

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Indeed studying is great when you're not running so hot. It could also be beneficial to drop down in stakes for a little bit to regain some confidence.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To be honest the first thing to do is start to build your resilience. Seem like an obvious thing to say but you will likely lose more hands you enter than win. So the mental game is really important.

I presume like most you study to some degree and then take stock of the hands you played, specifically those where you have lost. I take screen shots as a quick reminder of the hand and how I lost. Sometimes as others have said, it is down to a bad beat.

Regarding playing the bubble, its an art to itself. However I would not take the advice that a min cash was not worth it especially for a beginner. What you are doing here is expressing your frustration and disappointment that you have missed making the min cashes. Which means you would have been happy to make them and so you should be.

Try to settle down, play carefully in those spots and you will start to cash. Fold a strong hand if needs be near the cash because a big stack bully will play any two cards against you and will often luck out.

Once you have established patience to win into the cash then you will gain confidence to ladder up and then can set goals for reaching final tables.

Good luck.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Finding the right balance for bubble play is for sure difficult. Today in an MTT on 888 Poker I was an above average stack with around 30BB, opened A9, got called by BB, and it came a very wet 9 high flop. BB had around the same stack as me, and he donked out for almost the full size of the pot.

I thought about this for a while and ended up making a tight fold, because if I continued in the hand, I was likely going to be playing for stacks, and I just did not want to bubble with so many chips. He then showed Q9 presumably to be nice and let me know, he was not bluffing. I did cash, but I failed to reach the final table, and with a 60BB stack I almost certainly would, since it was 18 places paying.

This just to say, that sometimes we need to give f.... about the bubble and focus on playing fundamentally sound poker. Yes he could have had me in bad shape or gotten their later, but if we fold TPTK to a donk bet, we are just not playing good poker, and I obviously kicked myself for it after seeing his hand :)