Being impulsive

D

DerlyGR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had to lose by being impulsive and not taking my time to make better decisions. Should I think more about my decisions or is it just a lack of concentration? Do you have any advice to give me?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how lucky you are. I seem to miss most flips and most draws while my opponents seem to catch most. In my case, it doesn't really matter how long or hard I think about each hand.

In the end I still don't see how to consistently win at online poker. You can't see your opponents sweat, smell the fear, hear them holding their breath or feel the table shaking. All you have is a bunch of pixels.

38a68200e1b6c96c67ac6398199cd915.png

Last edited:
Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have had to lose by being impulsive and not taking my time to make better decisions. Should I think more about my decisions or is it just a lack of concentration? Do you have any advice to give me?

Hi.
Your results directly depend on your ability to stay focused. Of course, the concentration involves not only considered decisions, but also a clear assessment of risks and the situation in general. If you can't stay focused, it is best to take a break to regain strength and be patient.
Good luck.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
both I guess
Just slow down and you will be fine

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I found it's not so much concentration but rather focus. When I review some of my plays that went sideways I realized my thinking had missed something I should have been aware of and included in my thought process. I also found that it was a little to easy to get impulsive in certain situations like getting a great hand after a string of garbage hands or right after a loss.

I decided to force myself to slow down and the first step was my mouse. I figured out one day that when I got the good hand I was reaching for the mouse before it was my turn to act and often I would react quickly to the previous player's action. That would lead to a too-quick call or even a shove. So, I keep my hand off the mouse. I think of it as the same as the pros at live tables not looking at their cards until it's their turn to act. It slows me down.

Once I have the slow-down working I try to focus on all the different aspects of the hand like stack sizes, position, tendencies etc. I try to check off all the elements so I don't miss something important. I have found my game has certainly improved and I hope yours does too.

Flyair

Flyair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greetings. I use translators. I think it's worth thinking about priorities here. Sometimes it seems to us that the game or the distribution is not so important and we can play without thinking too much. I think almost everyone is faced with this. We need to train discipline in ourselves. As for making decisions, if it is difficult it is better to think a little longer, as a rule, we have time for this. So there is discipline in going to action and thinking thinking thinking. Thinking is always useful)) Good luck and success to you both in the game and outside it. All the best.