dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dj's HORSE tips.

Assuming tourney and NOT RING HORSE.

At the beginning of most HORSE SnG's or MTT's you want to wait for big BIG hands. Even tho these are limit games, a few assholes can screw you up fast. Avoid the early raise/3bet/4/bet/ cap situations where more than half the table is involved.

1st round in general...proceed cautiously.

1st round H(oldem)...Wait it out without a great hand.. You will find a lot of agro maniacs in this first round of the game. Avoid the whole damn round if you don't get dealt gems.

1st round O(8), all those agro's who lost money in the HE round will think they can recoup it here. Avoid them as they will eat you alive even if you win half the pot. Preferable of course are scoop hands. A split pot is a stack eater even if you win.

1st round R(azz) 3 cards under 8 in the window, AND watching the board allow you to unaggressively see 4th street. DO NOT TRY TO GET LUCKY HERE. Watch the cards , ALL the cards. Set it so dealer tells you everything as this may help you remember what cards are gone and unavailable. If you don't start off with 3 low cards in razz resist the temptation to start with 2 low cards. FOLD a lot.

1st round S(tud Hi) many of those agro maniacs may already be gone if this is a STT, but in a MTT they are still there. Some have big stacks but most will have very small stacks and feel desperate. Start with a pair or fold.

1st round E(stud hi/lo)Go for the low hands primarily, and ideally the low straights or flushes. Do not try to get lucky. Start with something! Either 3 low cards (below 8, better below7) or at very least a pair where u know the other 2 cards of that rank are unaccounted for (someone else doesn't have one).

1st round in general you should work on making it to the second round. This means you fold a lot. Lets the agro donks blow their wads.

2nd round.

Most of the time by the 2nd round a sort of sanity has arrived. But this will depend on the tourney structure, turbo or not. Ultimatebet had HORSE MTT's with 12 minute games, meaning one horse per hour before they joined the synchronized break group. By far the best structure IMO, alas gone now. If your in a turbo, or super turbo, the 2nd round is only slightly better than the 1st round as far as those agro maniacs go.

Wait for your better opportunities. You will find most of the folks folding and for that reason alone you can crank up your aggression. It will more often induce a iffy caller to fold. Don't overuse it here, there are still the remaining agro donks.

By the end of 2nd round of a STT HORSE the field should be 1/2 it's original size, even tho this is limit. The blinds and ante's are growing and most will get fairly conservative. This offers some opportunities, but remember these are HORSE players, who IMHO, are a cut above your typical HE players and are wise in the ways of noticing who is doing what to whom. You must seek to a certain savviness in the 3rd round and beyond.

Last edited:
tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very useful post man.. I actually cashed in twice but didn't make it to the final table.. got 2$ out of it.. For example, I reached the money.. 45 players left.
I got an average chip stack.. what should I do to reach the Final table?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very useful post man.. I actually cashed in twice but didn't make it to the final table.. got 2$ out of it.. For example, I reached the money.. 45 players left.
I got an average chip stack.. what should I do to reach the Final table?

If you stay average throughout a tourney, you will end up HU for the trophy.
Point is an average stack is fine. Resit that urge to make a move. Let other bust themselves out while you continue to play solid. It is still a limit game thus you can't intimidate a decent hand to fold playable hands. Steal those pots that offer the opportunity, and avoid confrontations where possible.

My problem when I find myself late with an average stack is that I also learn that there is some huge stack somewhere, and I feel that urge to compete. I constantly have to resist that urge and get back to my game. When I do, I don't worry, when I succumb to that temptation I make stupid moves which put me in panic mode making me make even more stupid moves.......

Do Not worry about your stack size when you are close to average. The limit game/blinds/antes/ have a way of getting big enough, fast enough to cause weird things to happen fast, like 2 hands from worst to first. Beware the visa versa there.....

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your right oz .. I'm asking tips for HORSE.. but I'm not playing in real cash games.. cause one of the best option in boosting our BR.. is the 2$ buy-in 100$ added private tourney in FTP.. really helps a lot.. just getting ready for it in case they do HORSE :D

They have done a Friday 7-game before. The schedule for August should be out today. I am hopeful there will be a 7-game or HORSE on there. If not we can try and request one for September.

Last edited:
dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Damned if our Friday night game ain't HORSE this week!:D

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but I'm not playing in real cash games.. cause one of the best option in boosting our BR.. is the 2$ buy-in 100$ added private tourney in FTP.. really helps a lot.. just getting ready for it in case they do HORSE :D

*shrugs*

I can tell you from experience that the best way to grow a bankroll from nothing is to stick to the games you're good at and not waver, no matter how soft the other game looks or how enticing the money added is.

At the end of the day what you do with your money is 100% up to you though.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damned if our Friday night game ain't HORSE this week!:D

Yup! just saw that on the FTP private page. Actually debating a donation on this one.

:D

Also thanks for the great post. I have always felt while playing HORSE and the 7/8-game mix that round one has to be 100% premium hands only. You post seems to confirm this.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice

Bad advice -- Ace with 2 wheel cards is a very good starting hand

Also, pay more attention to anything C9 says. Also post hands you have questions on and pm me or c9 to comment on them.

Three cards to a wheel with an ace is in the top starting hands in stud 8/u, raise this hand, bring in complete with this hand.
I mean if your missing wheel cards and another ace are laying all over the table, then be very careful. Next card you get a 6, keep running your split queens into me. Because I'm already 70% to half the pot, and I may scoop it if your not careful. Low drawing hands are power in stud 8u. Not sure how you could say 3 cards to a wheel with an ace is not a good starting hand.:confused:

Obviously you have to be careful playing it, know whats left to catch, etc.

FereZ

FereZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you dj.
Good tips.
Gonna try those on todays horse game.
Horse is one of my favorite game "styles" after omaha & holdem.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure how you could say 3 cards to a wheel with an ace is not a good starting hand.:confused:

I'm pretty sure Skold's point was that three cards to a wheel with an ace is a good starting hand. The "bad advice" bit is directed at a previous poster.

MidyMat

MidyMat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way I improved my HORSE is practice practice...Not to mention You might want to master all the Stud Variants. Because if you can't play Stud well then you don't stand a chance. My only weakness really is limit hold'em . I chase way too much in that game....hahaha... PRACTICE PRACTICE

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure you know when the game changes from razz to stud lol

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really think they put stud/razz back-to-back just to mess with people.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most people really suck at HORSE. if you are weaker at one game than the others, only play super premium hands and be willing to let them go.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really think they put stud/razz back-to-back just to mess with people.

Plus it wouldn't spell HORSE if they weren't next to each other :p

This is an ancient thread bump BTW.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no shame in bumping a thread concerning stud games.

Poker Tips