Bankroll management vs Mutli-tables..

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi group!

I'm planning on give a shot at multiple table sessions. I'm not sure how to use my bankroll on this..

I want to play MTTs so I'll use 1% of my bankroll for buying in..

But if I want to play, let say.. 25 tables (nothing forbids dreaming of beating Nanonoko or Arlie Shaban :D:D:D) do I use « (bankroll*1%) / 25 » for the average buy-in and register refering to this result OR I use « (bankroll*1%) » buy-in « (bankroll*1%) » buy-in, etc.. 25 times?

More serisously, my target is 2 tables for a week or two then, add a third one. After this I think I'll be ok!! So what would you do with a 2 or 3 tables situation? What could be the best option? Any other way?

Thanks!

-TRP-

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can play 2 or 3 tables with the same concentration and displaying the same skills you would with a single table, it's fine to use the same bankroll management strategy you would use for playing three tournaments separetely.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ye a 30 buy in bankroll is a 30 buy in bankroll whether your one tabling or four tabling as you can only lose 1 stack at a time on individual tables.

J

jadestem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ye a 30 buy in bankroll is a 30 buy in bankroll whether your one tabling or four tabling as you can only lose 1 stack at a time on individual tables.

It isn't precisely the same unless you can maintain the exact same win rate/roi as you do playing a single table.

Most people are going to win slightly less often when multi-tabling. This slightly lower win-rate is offset by the larger volume of tournaments you get to play by multi-tabling. The effect of this is to increase the amount of variance your bankroll will need to be able to withstand. I would suggest adding maybe 10 buy ins or so for each additional table you intend to play.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It isn't precisely the same unless you can maintain the exact same win rate/roi as you do playing a single table.

Most people are going to win slightly less often when multi-tabling. This slightly lower win-rate is offset by the larger volume of tournaments you get to play by multi-tabling. The effect of this is to increase the amount of variance your bankroll will need to be able to withstand. I would suggest adding maybe 10 buy ins or so for each additional table you intend to play.

Which just means you reach your targets at longer or shorter intervals but you still move up and down the stakes according to your BR strategy so it doesn't need to change.

Last edited:
J

jadestem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which just means you reach your targets at longer or shorter intervals but you still move up and down the stakes according to your BR strategy so it doesn't need to change.

The entire purpose of a bankroll is to make sure you can withstand variance. If you do something to increase the amount of variance you expect to see, then it is a good idea to increase your bankroll requirements to compensate.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The entire purpose of a bankroll is to make sure you can withstand variance. If you do something to increase the amount of variance you expect to see, then it is a good idea to increase your bankroll requirements to compensate.

Exactly so the larger short term swings dont bust your bankroll but cash players winning 5bb/100 can use a 30 buy in strategy just as someone with a 15bb/100 can. Im not sure if tournaments differ slightly but varience shouldn't affect moving up and down the limits according to good bankroll managment. If the player winning at 5bb/100 loses 10 buy ins they move down a stake so does the player winning at 15bb/100. It might mean it takes one longer to move up a stake and they might have to take more downward steps when taking shots at higher levels but the strategy is exactly the same.

Last edited:
Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For multitableing, one should consider increasing Bankroll by 20% for each additional table played.

This helps with the variance. If your utilizing stop/loss management increase that 10-15%, depending on BR size and # tables played.

More tables means BR flux will swing wildly but should, with comfort of play, stabilize.

Always start small. Feel it out. get comfortable with how the swings come and go.
Then you can incrementally move to higher stakes/more tables slowly.

Move up based on BR comfort. Usually, increasing a BR by 60% should allow for comfortable increase in stake to next level.
This helps on the times when you just get hammered, and can get out alive.

If at anytime you become overwhelmed, stop and drop to the smaller/lower ranks.
reestablish a comfort level, then once again slowly increment.

Last edited:
Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management