Bankroll Management and Variance

G

Goalie35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
According to the experts, you need a bankroll of between 30 and 100 buy ins to cover variance and periods of "run bad". I thought that was too high. After this week, I understand. Pocket aces cracked 7 times, pocket kings cracked twice and lost with an ace high flush. In every case it was all-in. I play on pokerstars and have moved down 2 levels to try and rebuild my bankroll and my confidence.
What has been your worse run and how did you handle it?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont keep track of, what my "worst run" was. But I also move down, when things are not going well. And sometimes I look at my game selection and consider, if something need to be changed. You always have to be open to the idea, that maybe you are actually not beating the games, you play, and maybe you can find another game, which is easier to beat, or which for other reasons suit you better. Such a process led me to give up Zoom games, when I was a cash player, after losing a number of buyins at 10NL and 16NL.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
According to the experts, you need a bankroll of between 30 and 100 buy ins to cover variance and periods of "run bad". I thought that was too high. After this week, I understand. Pocket aces cracked 7 times, pocket kings cracked twice and lost with an ace high flush. In every case it was all-in. I play on Pokerstars and have moved down 2 levels to try and rebuild my bankroll and my confidence.
Every player has bad periods. In such periods, we should just stop and take a break. A break will save you money and save your nerves. In general, my bankroll management is quite conservative and I never spend more than 5% of my bankroll in one game session. This conservative approach allows me to always feel safe, and this approach gives me quite good results.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
According to the experts, you need a bankroll of between 30 and 100 buy ins to cover variance and periods of "run bad". I thought that was too high. After this week, I understand. Pocket aces cracked 7 times, pocket kings cracked twice and lost with an ace high flush. In every case it was all-in. I play on Pokerstars and have moved down 2 levels to try and rebuild my bankroll and my confidence.
Oh, that's a familiar situation... I had a similar experience many years ago, I was very freaked out then, and took a break, I immediately thought not for several weeks, but in the end it was gone for several years... which was very much in vain... now when there are bad periods, I just sit them out. when the game is not going on, I just play fewer tournaments, it happens that I take a day off from poker. I just distract myself, unload my head and sit down to play with new strength and thoughts.
P.S. there is nothing wrong with going down to the limit below

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
After this week, I understand. Pocket aces cracked 7 times, pocket kings cracked twice and lost with an ace high flush. In every case it was all-in.
This is actually pretty mild compared to how bad it can get.
I've been down $100 from a $330 bankroll and I handled it just by increasing my volume, and I rebounded back to $300.

Then I got bored and watched a video about roulette and lost the entire bankroll because I decided I wanted to play roulette. Moral of the story: don't play roulette with your whole bankroll. Better yet, don't play roulette at all.

Now, recently, I ran the bankroll back up to $100 and then started a massive downswing where my premium hands just don't hold up. Volume was not fixing anything. So I withdrew $50 and just kept playing with the rest until I hit zero. So I effectively saved half my bankroll from whatever monkey tilt I was going to experience.

There's nothing wrong with locking in your wins. You can always redeposit later. It is a hard stop loss and prevents you from continuing to play into a bad streak. Presently I switched sites and am playing some freerolls and small stakes on a different site. (Premiums still not holding up.)

Sullivanryn88

Sullivanryn88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
a love for the game. I can't say my worst streak has been. It's just the way the games go.
Whether Holdem, Omaha whichever. There is good runs and bad runs.
My major takeaway is that you don't hold onto whatever or however it has haloened and you just continue to play the best way you know how and continue to learn to become better.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's why I prefer to play with at least 100x buy in, but I play more comfortable with even bigger bankroll. My worst run I think it lasted a couple of weeks, but after a few days of a bad run, I usually take a break on that room and play more on others rooms.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I play mostly SnGs HU. And i love BRM=5BI ))
I usually play low limits where i have frequency of wins ~ 60%+
So, chance of ruin R=~(0.4/0.6)^5 ~< 0.13 or <13%
But such BRM can prevent tilt and play on higher limits in case of bad streak...
And at the same time i can easyly make new deposit if i lose 5BI...

Last edited:
WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
even 200 buyins for plo i guess cause it´s so much variance.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think we need bankroll not less that 100 buyins, one of the version how can we handle our bankroll it is stop playing for sometime

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
That's right, we need 100 bytes so that when the game isn't going on we just don't worry about it and keep playing because, as you said, aces can lose and such giveaways will be rare, but they will just have to worry about the variance and everything will be fine, the main thing is take your time to play high limits

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management