gloemcesar

gloemcesar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CL
Chips
i believe that the first thing you need to do is figure out how much of your net worth you are willing to use as your bankroll(invest on the game). your bankroll should be an amount you can afford to lose but still large enough for you to care about it. Once you know how large your bankroll is, you need to decide which games you can play with it. I generally suggest keeping at least 200 buy-ins in your bankroll. Of course, the more buy-ins you have, the lower the probability of going broke. If you really want to minimize the risk of going broke, 1,000 buy-ins are recommended. this is kind of hard but for players that take seriously the game for a livetime carreer this should be a standar but its your way works for you thats good:p im just starded to play hoping build a bankroll in the run with freerolls.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
i believe that the first thing you need to do is figure out how much of your net worth you are willing to use as your bankroll(invest on the game). your bankroll should be an amount you can afford to lose but still large enough for you to care about it. Once you know how large your bankroll is, you need to decide which games you can play with it. I generally suggest keeping at least 200 buy-ins in your bankroll. Of course, the more buy-ins you have, the lower the probability of going broke. If you really want to minimize the risk of going broke, 1,000 buy-ins are recommended. this is kind of hard but for players that take seriously the game for a livetime carreer this should be a standar but its your way works for you thats good:p im just starded to play hoping build a bankroll in the run with freerolls.
I believe that there should be a balance between the risk of ruin and the desire to grow to higher limits. If the player is winning and poker is not his only source of income, then any BRM with more than 100 buy-ins is considered a surplus. It is better not to accumulate a bankroll, but to move higher to the limit earlier, but at the same time leave the risk of ruin at a low level. That formula with the logarithm is very good for determining the BRM!!! In most cases, 50 buy-ins will be sufficient for a winning player. Only for MTTs, you can take a larger stock of money...

W

whyfold that

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to gamble to much ill never keep a bankroll lol

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I myself use aggressive BRM for SnG HUs, about 6-7 Buy-Ins in the poker room. But i have about 2 times this amount on my e-wallets.

P.S. But on the other hand, i don't go up on the higher limits )) I play mostly up to the $ 7 limit, very rarely higher.

Last edited:
BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
By the way, i found how that formula for BRM is obtained:

If the number of games there tends to infinity, then both PHI functions are equal to 1, and then the risk of ruin takes on its maximum value:

R = exp(-2*m*B/D)

Already at 300-500 games, the result converges to this formula.

From the formula, you can calculate the bankroll:

B = (D/(2*m))*ln(1/R)

So, the formula is really correct!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
My bankroll management system is very simple and effective. I never spend more than 1-3% of my bankroll per day. It is thanks to this system that my bankroll is growing steadily. Everything is simple and you do not need to be a professor of mathematics.

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am currently taking a shot with 25 buyins at the new stakes, but this is microstakes so going busto would not hurt that much haha.

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am currently taking a shot with 25 buyins at the new stakes, but this is microstakes so going busto would not hurt that much haha.
If you lose some you can go back to lower stakes which is more buy-ins! So I think it's kinda safe, good luck!

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Hello.
My bankroll management system is very simple and effective. I never spend more than 1-3% of my bankroll per day. It is thanks to this system that my bankroll is growing steadily. Everything is simple and you do not need to be a professor of mathematics.

This is a good rule of thumb, albeit a little cautious. Then, depending on the win rate, if it is from 3BB/100 to 10BB/100, BRM will be from 2000BB to 7000BB, that is, from 20 to 70 stacks for NL cash games.

If we consider the cash game, then for the average player we can say that the winrate will be about 7.5BB/100

The standard deviation for almost everyone except for players with a loose style of play is in the range of 100BB/100
Then the variance is 100^2 = 10000 (BB ^ 2)

If we choose a ruin risk of 5%, which is neither very conservative nor very aggressive BRM, then ln(1/R) = 3

Then by the formula we get:

B = 3*10000/(7.5*2) = 2000BB

So, we get the famous rule of using BRM = 20 stacks for no limit cash games.

For limit games, the variance is much lower, and respectively, BRM turns out to be less, about 300 Big Bets or 600bb.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This is a good rule of thumb, albeit a little cautious. Then, depending on the win rate, if it is from 3BB/100 to 10BB/100, BRM will be from 2000BB to 7000BB, that is, from 20 to 70 stacks for NL cash games.

If we consider the cash game, then for the average player we can say that the winrate will be about 7.5BB/100

The standard deviation for almost everyone except for players with a loose style of play is in the range of 100BB/100
Then the variance is 100^2 = 10000 (BB ^ 2)

If we choose a ruin risk of 5%, which is neither very conservative nor very aggressive BRM, then ln(1/R) = 3

Then by the formula we get:

B = 3*10000/(7.5*2) = 2000BB

So, we get the famous rule of using BRM = 20 stacks for no limit cash games.

For limit games, the variance is much lower, and respectively, BRM turns out to be less, about 300 Big Bets or 600bb.

I read everything, and although I did not understand everything, but still thank you for the explanation. :)

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started to use a new BRM system and figured I'd share. I just hope I can explain it clearly enough. OK here goes.

1st You need to decide the amount of buyins for a given stake you want to keep. I wouldnt recommend less than 50 for cash games. I would use 100 for SnGs and maybe 200 for larger tourneys.

2nd You need to decide the amount of tables you have open per session. Add the total amount of buyins and devide that by the number of tables.(this will be the same if all buyins are equal). This amount shouldn't be larger than 4% of your total bankroll.(believe me there's nothing like losing power while 20 tabling).

3rd If you take the number from the prior step and multiply it by 100, this will be the amount you need to have in your BR to start the session.

The reason I use an average of the buyins is for when I want to move up in stakes. If I four table I would average amount of 3 lesser buyins and one higher buyin x100. When I have that amount in my BR I could start to add one higher buyin to my sessions.

I figure out the amount I'd need to add more and more tables. Until I had enough buyins to play at the higher level. I do this unless I dip below the last treshold. Then I drop higher buyins as my BRM system allows.

Also you need to keep the same ratio of smaller to higher buyins the same. So if you bust in a higher buyin you need to wait till you finish all the lower buyins before you add another higher buyin.

I am not good at the things you are talking about. But I know very well that the lack of bankroll management is the shortest way to the next deposit, therefore, to simplify the calculations, I play in tournaments whose bins amount is 100 times less than my bankroll.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Sounds totally reasonable for me, if you are talking about MTTs. b) is to dip your toe in and gain experience with, how higher limit games tend to play. c) is known as "shot taking", and for that even 75 BIs is pretty conservative. If for instance you have a 1.000$ bankroll and want to play a 22$ tournament like the recent MicroMillions main event on PokerStars, then you still have 978$ left to play with, if you fail to cash, which is essentially the same as 1.000$. So as long as "shots" are really just that, they are completely fine. The problem only start to arise, if you then decide to also play the 22$ "big", the 16,5$ "hot" and the 33$ PKO "on demand", because then you are no longer taking "shots" but simply playing above your bankroll.
Very well said, the most important is not to only know about brm, but to use it and live it.
Of course everyone can make a shot in one MTT, but then come back to your usual level or even level down, if you did not cash in this wonderful shot. :D
It is easy to do so and you will not go broke. Never, ever, but it will take time to
gain some money, but this money will stay with you and will not run away in the next game.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A very good bankroll management system! For me, it may be a little conservative!

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not good at the things you are talking about. But I know very well that the lack of bankroll management is the shortest way to the next deposit, therefore, to simplify the calculations, I play in tournaments whose bins amount is 100 times less than my bankroll.

100 buyins is a safe amount IMO.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you lost 100BI at your limit, then most likely you are not beating him.

B

Bendango329

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello I have a question how does one become a platinum member

Hello

F

firerain

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have used the following bankroll management guideline

SNGs - 50 BI for normal paced (8+ min blind levels)
75 BI for Turbo paced (5 to 6 min BL)
100 BT for Hyper (3 to 4 min BL)

Lose 15 BI at level then move down

-------------------

MTT -

100 BI for normal paced (10+ min BL) Freezeout MTT (up to 1000 entrants)
125 BI for turbo paced (5 to 8 min BL) Freezeout MTT (up to 1000 entrants)
150 BI for Hyper paced (3 to min BL) Freezeout MTT (up to 1000 entrants)

* Add 25 BI for every 500 additional entrants in MTT after 1000.

100 BI for normal paced (10+ min BL) Freezeout MTT (upto 1000 entrants)
125 BI for turbo paced (5 to 8 min BL) Freezeout MTT (upto 1000 entrants)
150 BI for Hyper paced (3 to min BL) Freezeout MTT (upto 1000 entrants)

* Add 25 BI for each 500 additional entrants in MTT after 1000.

-----------

200 BI for normal paced (10+ min BL) Rebuy/Add-on MTT (upto 1000 entrants)
225 BI for turbo paced (5 to 8 min BL) Rebuy/Add-on MTT (up to 1000 entrants)
250 BI for Hyper paced (3 to min BL) Rebuy/Add-on MTT (up to 1000 entrants)

------------------------------------------

150 BI for normal paced (10+ min BL) Rentry MTT (up to 1000 entrants)
175 BI for turbo paced (5 to 8 min BL) Reentry MTT (up to 1000 entrants)
200 BI for Hyper paced (3 to min BL) Reentry MTT (up to 1000 entrants)

------------------

You can take a larger shot by taking Ave BI for 5 to 10 MTT that meet your BRM guideline

Example
1. $500 BR - Play five MTT (Total BI should not exceed $25)

a. First MTT - $11 BI
b. Second MTT - $5.5 BI
c. Third MTT - $3.3 BI
d. Fourth MTT - $ 3.3 BI
e Fifth MTT - $1.65 BI

Total BI s = $24.5 - Ave BI (5 MTT) = $4.95 (with BRM guidelines)

A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

and tell me specifically about MTT, how are things? I play 3 or 4 tables at levels up to $ 5 and use the 100BB tactic

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
150 BI for normal paced (10+ min BL) Rentry MTT (up to 1000 entrants)
175 BI for turbo paced (5 to 8 min BL) Reentry MTT (up to 1000 entrants)
200 BI for Hyper paced (3 to min BL) Reentry MTT (up to 1000 entrants)

There is no difference between the required bankroll for freezeout and reentry MTTs. If you sometimes use the opportunity to reenter, you will be spending more on each tournament on average, but you will also have a larger chance of cashing. If for instance we run KK into AA after 14 minutes of play, bust and reenter, then this is no different from late regging after 14 minutes to another similar MTT.

Being more conservative with fast formats and large fields makes sense, and actually even 1000 entrants is a very large field already. So if you play a lot of MTTs with say 500-1.000 entrants, you ideally want to be more conservative with your bankroll than the numbers, you outlined, at least if you use the average buyin method. If you play a mixture of 3,3-11$ MTTs, you will obviously have less swings, than if you only play 11$ MTTs, and then maybe an 1.100$ bankroll is going to be completely fine.

K

krzysiek1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Real problems with managment : (

Hello Guys :

Want to share my biggest problem in poker. Just made same mistake again i deposit 100$ won satty to 27$ and get 4th there for almost 5000$ then........ i lost it in 2 days :(. Its hard to count how many times i did this to myself always after big score i start to think im the best in the world and increess my limits to much ( 55$ + :( )
Tell me pls what is best for mtt player? 1000 buy ins ? 500? what should i play with for example 1000$ bankroll unfortunaly its impossible to block stakes at GGpoker where im playing:(

NEEED HLP !!!! :(

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management