S

skny85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I'll keep this short for now.

I play on betonline and sports betting and play windfall sng $3 buy in.

I usually run pretty well but lately I have a bad run of cards that last the entire session.

Since blinds move up quick and start with 500 chips I try to play tight against aggressive players and try to stay out of trouble when these guys raise pre-flop.

My problem the last 20 or so sessions is I get a bad run of cards that in this particular game

can cost me chips almost every hand. Im talking about in consecutive hands I was dealt 72o 26c things like that. never getting sold starting hands and im not talking about premium hands just hands I can play well post flop.

So pretty much im bleeding chips and I cant keep folding.

So what im asking is anyone with experience playing sngs and windfall games.

What should I do, I tried widening my range and playing hands dealt but other players are constantly hitting their pair or connecting on straights and flushes

Should I chalk this up to just a bad run of cards or is there a strategy that I can implement that could keep me from just bleeding chips.

Any help would be appreciated and if I am not giving enough details please let know.

Maybe I should focus on my opponent a little bit more and figure out theire tendencies but if im getting terrible starting hands all the time playing with them just gets me in trouble.

Thanks for the help guys.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of patient your going to have to be patient and wait for a hand to come your way. I would also try to use your position to play a hand every once in awhile once blinds increase to try and steal once every now and than. If you haven't been playing hands most of the tourney they should be respecting your raises later on in the tourney or not it will get through about 65% of time uncontested without a call and when you do get a call sometimes you do connect with the board so bamm. But other than that your going through a normal down swing or bad run of cards it happens to the best of us that why during the bankroll management section they say have between 40-50 buy-in for your buy-in

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key play preflop in 3 handed poker is actually the BB. Remember, preflop they go last, post flop they go 2nd to last. So, focus on your BB play. You can't trust blind stealing from the button because, literally, everyone is playing after you. So, if you are card dead and going to blind steal it should be from the BB instead of the button since you go into the flop with a semi-power position.

Second, keep in mind that since there are only 3 people playing your range should be wide open. Now I'm not saying 72o, but figure out what the top 40% of all hands are and play in that range IF no one is raising. So if you can get in for 1BB or 2BB then a hand like 76o can be playable from the BB. Every 3 hands you're losing 1.5BB so you have to start contesting cheap pots to keep yourself afloat.

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing short handed your starting range should widen significantly. Try playing more suited connectors and suited aces. Also every poker player on the planet goes through bad runs of cards, just hang in there!

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might want to try some other games . Like micro cash games , you can sit and wait for some better hands and still maintain your amount of table time to keep your game sharp . I even throw in a little Omaha now and then when I'm running bad just to mix things up a little. Good luck to you .

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Some forms of poker have more variance or you find yourself losing money faster. You may have to find a different type of poker instead of this quicker form of poker that provides 500 starting chips. 500 starting chips seems more of a game for aggressive players that play any two cards. You do not seem to be an aggressive player.

I have played this form of poker on BetOnline and it is exactly as you describe it. So i move on to a more enjoyable form of poker.

S

skny85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for your feedback it really helps me look at my situation from different

perspectives.

When I posted this thread I was in the middle of running really bad and got really frustrated

and came on here to vent to you guys, so thanks for taking the time to respond I really

appreciate it.

It seems to me the windfall sng variance just got to me.

constantly getting sucked out and so on.

But thanks guys.

After I posted this thread I calmed down and decided to play 10nl cash game and ran pretty well. I tripled my buy in. So not all bad lol.

I have to realize when im starting to get frustrated I should just take a break and think about why I am losing

Thanks again for your responses as you guys are the only source of advice I can get right now.

Good Luck to all at the tables.

S

skny85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some forms of poker have more variance or you find yourself losing money faster. You may have to find a different type of poker instead of this quicker form of poker that provides 500 starting chips. 500 starting chips seems more of a game for aggressive players that play any two cards. You do not seem to be an aggressive player.

I have played this form of poker on BetOnline and it is exactly as you describe it. So i move on to a more enjoyable form of poker.

yea that's what I was doing. I play on betonline and sportsbetting and usually play low buy

in gtd tournaments. I didn't have a lot of time to play any tournaments so I went on a

windfall marathon for like 2 hours. its quick and fun(when I win lol).

S

skny85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of patient your going to have to be patient and wait for a hand to come your way. I would also try to use your position to play a hand every once in awhile once blinds increase to try and steal once every now and than. If you haven't been playing hands most of the tourney they should be respecting your raises later on in the tourney or not it will get through about 65% of time uncontested without a call and when you do get a call sometimes you do connect with the board so bamm. But other than that your going through a normal down swing or bad run of cards it happens to the best of us that why during the bankroll management section they say have between 40-50 buy-in for your buy-in

Yea im starting to understand how important BRM really is.

not fun playing with scared money.

one of the worst feelings in poker for me.

S

skny85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The key play preflop in 3 handed poker is actually the BB. Remember, preflop they go last, post flop they go 2nd to last. So, focus on your BB play. You can't trust blind stealing from the button because, literally, everyone is playing after you. So, if you are card dead and going to blind steal it should be from the BB instead of the button since you go into the flop with a semi-power position.

Second, keep in mind that since there are only 3 people playing your range should be wide open. Now I'm not saying 72o, but figure out what the top 40% of all hands are and play in that range IF no one is raising. So if you can get in for 1BB or 2BB then a hand like 76o can be playable from the BB. Every 3 hands you're losing 1.5BB so you have to start contesting cheap pots to keep yourself afloat.

Makes a lot of sense thank you for the advice.

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is an up and down game (like it has BiPolar). At times gonna feel you cant lose and others you cant win.

This is where you need to control your loses by using a stop loss. Mine is 10 tournament buy ins a day as I am a tournament mode right now and I do not use a Money Value as that is a set range I play $5-$10 plus fees level. So most I am down a day is $100 but realistically about $60-$75. If I still feel like playing I play freerolls ONLY as to protect bankroll.

S

skny85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is an up and down game (like it has BiPolar). At times gonna feel you cant lose and others you cant win.

This is where you need to control your loses by using a stop loss. Mine is 10 tournament buy ins a day as I am a tournament mode right now and I do not use a Money Value as that is a set range I play $5-$10 plus fees level. So most I am down a day is $100 but realistically about $60-$75. If I still feel like playing I play freerolls ONLY as to protect bankroll.

Yea when I first started playing online I was a maniac. Just depositing money and playing whatever I wanted.

The last month I have really been strict with what game I can play within my br.

As I need as much experience as possible freerolls and low buy ins are good for me.

Like people keep saying to me Poker is a marathon not a sprint.

My goal is to build my br playing strictly low buy in tournaments.

Maybe some 10nl I have 500 in my account right now.

So I can play 10nl since I have the br for it.

But I am having success in tournaments right now. Made final table twice yesterday.

For me I feel that I am more confortable playing tournaments than cash games.

But I will keep trying to slowly build my BR and play the best I can.

Thanks for the feedback.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait until you get the monster, then blammo! Or if you're card dead, pick a hand and pretend it's a monster. BLAMMO!!

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am in bad run, I prefer use more time to study, less to play and when I play I try pay attention more to other players and make some notes to explore his weaks after.

S

skny85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am in bad run, I prefer use more time to study, less to play and when I play I try pay attention more to other players and make some notes to explore his weaks after.

Absolutely, Very good way to deal with running bad and/or tilt.

I find that taking a break when I feel like im getting upset or just not as sharp as I should be is really a good way to avoid making mistakes.

Sometimes when I feel like that, like you said I try and study more and replay previous hands that I lost big and find out what mistakes I have made or what I could have done different.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think that format has a very low sustainable ROIs, which means that the swings could be pretty big.