Bad play or not?

D

dumbdonut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds are 750 and 1500, I raise 6000 first to act with 87 suited and guy pushes all in and it cost me 8000 more to call and I have 75,000 chips. Is it wrong that I called?

J

JustTheNutz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's depends on how far into the tournament you are , if it's a short final table and stacks are all about close to even it may be a correct call just to try to eliminate the short stack and get the pay jump, depending on how much it is.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds are 750 and 1500, I raise 6000 first to act with 87 suited and guy pushes all in and it cost me 8000 more to call and I have 75,000 chips. Is it wrong that I called?
If you didn't want to call it you shouldn't have raised 4bb in the first place.

O

oshriam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont like this play to raise with 87 suited... at least if you can give some information about your position and the other players around (who raise/call blinds each of them etc) i could give you better answer...

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually the entire game was misplayed.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
dont like this play to raise with 87 suited... at least if you can give some information about your position and the other players around (who raise/call blinds each of them etc) i could give you better answer...

without other information, i agree, i dont like to raise 4bb 87suited, first to act

L

leandr0s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
assuming its the big blind that pushes you have a pot of 6000+14000+750=20,750 and you need to add 8k to win it.. so you need around 1:3,5 equity to call. the guy shoving knows he has very little fold equity and a 4bb raise from UTG seems really strong. so he knows he gets called. therefore he shoves with a good hand. i'd say 99+, AJs+ its close. if you think he would shove more overcards other than big aces then its a call. pretty bad open with 8,7s for 4bb. if you want to steal raise from late position 2-2,2BBs. on the other hand calling him down will help your metagame. others will think you are stupid raising big with garbage and probably give you credit later when you will be holding a real hand. it really depends on the situation though

D

dumbdonut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I said I was first to act and everyone was playing tight.

D

dumbdonut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know what's funny, It's that I know it was a fantastic play, my table image created the illusion of me being a tight poker player and I was able to control the table and I knew everybody would fold if I made that raise, nobody could take me out. I just wanted to see how many people would say it was a bad play. I really don't care what you guys think because I know it was a great play lol.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know what's funny, It's that I know it was a fantastic play, my table image created the illusion of me being a tight poker player and I was able to control the table and I knew everybody would fold if I made that raise, nobody could take me out. I just wanted to see how many people would say it was a bad play. I really don't care what you guys think because I know it was a great play lol.
So, WTF is the point of making the thread?

Given your PFR and villains stack size, your play is standard. Easy call getting 2.8:1.

Standard. Not a great play. In fact, nothing special at all.

Last edited:
D

dumbdonut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, WTF is the point of making the thread?

Given your PFR and villains stack size, your play is standard. Easy call getting 2.8:1.

Standard. Not a great play. In fact, nothing special at all.

It was a great play because no one else would pull that move.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You were asking about the call, not the preflop raise. And that call is super standard.

I dont mind the preflop raise given the right table dynamics.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was a great play because no one else would pull that move.
No one would ever call of an extra 8K after putting in 6K, getting 2.8:1 to call? Please.

Anyway, I think I'm getting trolled.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
re,

well if you bet alredy that much,is ok to pay 8000 more,you have your chanse....but like someeone said,you should think about your bet and position......

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone might think he or she is better than is really the case.

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wrong to raise that much, right in calling the shove for just 8k more

D

datrolld20

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The raise was hella loose, but could be correct. The call made sense, since it was only 2.3x what you had already put in. Arrogance and delusion are never the right call.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets analyze it. The pot is more or less 16000 and it cost you 8000 to call - half of it. Its a 2:1 odds and the action stops from there.

With those reasons above, calling if fine for me.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4x utg.
Do you want anyone else coming in to the play?
I would prefer to see what they do if you just min raise.

Calling a shove after such a big pre-raise would be why you did it in the first place.
Sounds like you got lucky. Was this a FR?

S

Sosa VII

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty big raise in my opinion, if you make that big a raise, practically pot committed, need a suck out or two in tournaments. GetThere.org