Bad fold?

L

leeroy818

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there, new to Cardschat and I thought I'd post a hand for review!

pokerstars - 500/1000 Ante 150 NL - Holdem - 9 players

UTG: 26.44 BB
UTG+1: 42.6 BB
MP: 32.64 BB
MP+1: 50.61 BB
MP+2: 48.85 BB
CO: 57.5 BB
BTN: 68.57 BB
Hero (SB): 67.08 BB
BB: 27.17 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.85 BB) Hero has Ac 7c
fold, UTG+1 raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold, CO calls 2 BB, BTN calls 2 BB, Hero calls 1.5 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Flop : (11.35 BB, 5 players) 5c 6h 7s
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO bets 3.4 BB, BTN calls 3.4 BB, Hero calls 3.4 BB, BB raises to 25.02 BB and is all-in, fold, fold, fold, fold

Hero mucks Ac 7c (One Pair, Sevens)

BB wins 24.97 BB

I showed my hand as I folded, and a reg on the table was shocked at the fold and told me it's always a call.

I think villain's shoving range here is something like: 44-99, A5-A7, T7, 85-89. Versus that range I think I have about 65% equity (but I'm obviously crushed against a set or straight). When reviewing the hand, I noticed I was getting just over 2/1 on the call (something I didn't calculate in play), so I only needed 33% equity which I easily had. But at the time I thought the pair + draw hands in his range would surely just call here? So I had villain weighted more towards a made hand in that range.

What would you have done?

This was in a $3 MTT and I had a reasonable stack approaching the bubble, but the more I look at it, the more I think I should have taken the spot! Might have set me up better to go deeper into the tournament.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, while it's great you posted this hand, for future spots you put up it's best to do them in the Tournament Hand Analysis sub-forum of the Tournament poker forum. Ideally use the CardsChat hand converter tool as well.

In this hand, you should call the shove because:

** You close the action
** You're getting great odds
** You're ahead of draws (and some made hands)

You mention some of these factors in your post and you're completely right that it's a call when you put everything together. Note that if the button shoved though, and you had to act next when there were still a lot of people active in the hand with deeper stacks, it would be a fold.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One last thing -- the reg at the table shouldn't have made that comment. There's no reason to criticize people's play and/or try to initiate a strategy discussion right at the table with everyone there.

L

leeroy818

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply and advice, Collin!

Noted re: the correct thread, will check that out now.

Folding in Poker