Aways losing with AA, what I'm doing wrong (hand discussion)

K

Koorss

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, everyone!

I recently had a fell bad endings with AA and I'm beggining to think that I may be doing something wrong.

This is a hand I played yesterday and I want your thoughts in how should I have played this hand differently. Because cleary I did something wrong.

To clarify my thoughts, the player with a big stack was playing very agressively and I put him in a wide range. So, when the turn card fliped, I thought that he shoud have got a straight or a flush and wanted me out of the hand to steal the pot from the short stack guy.

Once again, cleary I was wrong.

I will leave the hand summary here for you to see:

My nick is Koorss

PokerStars Hand # 221278847007: Tournament # 3064958292, $ 0.98 + $ 0.12 USD Hold'em No Limit - Tier X (125/250) - 2020/12/09 21:46:22 ET Table '3064958292 13' 9-max Seat # 2 is the button
Seat 1: bogdann1982 (3619 in chips)
Seat 2: pobredecash (2796 in chips)
Seat 3: Koorss (4545 in chips)
Seat 4: profe lupe (3846 in chips)
Seat 5: Alforakis (2310 in chips)
Seat 7: twowheels31 (2020 in chips)
Seat 8: cobby696969 (21195 in chips)
Seat 9: N3groxPE (2495 in chips)
bogdann1982: place before 30
pobredecash: place before 30
Koorss: place before 30
profe lupe: place before 30
Alforakis: place before 30
twowheels31: place before 30
cobby696969: place 30
N3groxPE: place 30
Koorss: call small blind 125
profe lupe: call big blind 250
*** HAND
CARDS *** Koorss receives [Ad Ah]
Alforakis: gives up
twowheels31: gives up
cobby696969: calls 250
N3groxPE: gives up
bogdann1982: gives up
pobredecash: equals 250
Koorss: equals 125
profe lupe: passes
*** FLOP *** [9h 6h 5c]
Koorss: passes
profe lupe: passes
cobby696969: bets 500
pobredecash: raises 2016 to 2516 and is all -in
Koorss: equals 2516
profe lupe: quits
cobby696969: equals 2016
*** TURN *** [9h 6h 5c] [Th]
Koorss: passes
cobby696969: aposta 8788
Koorss: desiste
Aposta não-igualada (8788) voltou para cobby696969
*** RIVER *** [9h 6h 5c Th] 3
*** SHOW DOWN ***
cobby696969: show [5d As] (pair of Five)
pobredecash: show [Jh 9s] (pair of Nine)
pobredecash received 8788 from the pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 8788 | commission 0
Table [9h 6h 5c Th 3d]
Seat 1: bogdann1982 folded before Flop (not bet)
Seat 2: pobredecash (Button) showed [Jh 9s] and won (8788) with
pocket Nine Seat 3: Koorss (small blind) gave up on Turn
Place 4: profe lupe (big blind) gave up on Flop
Place 5: Alforakis gave up before Flop (did not bet)
Place 7: twowheels31 gave up before Flop (did not bet)
Place 8: cobby696969 showed [5d As] and lost with pocket of Five
Seat 9: N3groxPE folded before Flop (not bet)

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok in this hand in my opinion the first mistake and maybe the one that made you lose the hand was limping, you should have raised on the preflop and then with two hearts you should have made a big bet to get a complete reading of the hand

D

DevaCat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have an 18bb stack in the small blind, and there are two limpers ahead of you. If you have to play out post-flop, you're out of position, which limits your ability to realise your equity, and you probably should be trying to stack off anyway on most flops, as your stack/ pot ratio is going to be about 4 with an overpair or better.

First thing is, as GreatGame says above, you should raise pre-flop. You certainly don't want to let the BB in for free with a range that is literally impossible to read, aces like a low SPR, and you want to reduce the number of players you're out of position to. The question is then to how much? The ambitious option is to go to something like 4bb, getting rid of the BB and hoping that the raise folds out the short stack, with a call from the big stack. Then you're jamming pretty much 100% of flops when you have 14bb left and the pot is 10bb (I wouldn't on a board like A-9-5 as you've got it crushed). The other option is just to jam pre, maximising your chances of winning the hand but running the risk that you only pick up the 3bb that is in the pot already. Which I would do probably depends upon the stats on the two villains, in particular their limp and fold to raise stats, and whether you've seen them call any jams.

Irrespective, given your position there's no way I see the turn without all my chips in the middle. As played it's pretty much the best case scenario for you when pobredecash shoves, and I would snap reshove over the top.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Instead of just guessing what your opponent has,,,,use your chips to gain information. :rolleyes:

W

wimpyfish1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

You may want to try just shoving with AA pre flop.
Sometimes opponents will consider you to be weak and call

That way you at least get the blinds or if you get action you know you had the best hand pre flop.

K

Koorss

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Got it. I should have been more aggressive.

The problem is, and I may be finding escuses here, in my experience in micro stakes, everyone is kinda of crazy. You saw, the guy was shoving with a mid pair.

The text book says that if someone bet hard, he has either a strong hand or a week hand stealing. Never a medium hand, because if this was the case, he would prefer to control the size of the pot.

Thus, I find that a Cbet is extremely ineffective, because if I bet 50% of the pot, I'm expecting my bluff to pass at least 50% of the time. But the people are crazy and just don't do what you expect. At least, I may be wrong, I find that my Cbet don't pass 50% of the time.

In this case, what is my line of though. Since I can't predict what they will do, I will play when I have something and fold when I don't.

Am I so wrong?

And, if so, how to adjust better to micro stakes?

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Microstakes is odd in many ways. I was playing medium to high stakes for years and now that I am playing the small and free, it is confusing as all get out. People tend to bluff way more than they should. Today I busted 7 different players by slowrolling knowing I had either the best or at least second best possible hand. It takes watching and understanding how they are playing. Many think that pure aggression is always the option.

That said, find certain hands that you think are better as all in hands. Short stacked, I will go all in with AA, KK, sometimes QQ depending on where I am at and who I am facing. AK and AQ are also those hands I have a tendency to go all in with short stacks. If I am decent stacked, I will add AJ if facing a short stack. Short stack can be a dangerous position to others, as cards can do whatever. I had someone go all in with 6 2 suited and beat AK suited. Remember that going all in removes bluffing in questionable situations, but preferably before the flop.

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, everyone!

I recently had a fell bad endings with AA and I'm beggining to think that I may be doing something wrong.

This is a hand I played yesterday and I want your thoughts in how should I have played this hand differently. Because cleary I did something wrong.

To clarify my thoughts, the player with a big stack was playing very agressively and I put him in a wide range. So, when the turn card fliped, I thought that he shoud have got a straight or a flush and wanted me out of the hand to steal the pot from the short stack guy.

Once again, cleary I was wrong.

I will leave the hand summary here for you to see:

My nick is Koorss

Bro, first you have to reflect on what your goal in a tournament is, which should probably be to extract as much chips as your opponents. A hand as strong as AA, can not in my opinion be just completed, you should raise any position. When you just call, you give opportunity for many people to get involved in the hand, and your AA tends to stop being as favorite as in the preflop.
Don't be afraid to raise, thinking people won't pay. Get the most out of monster hands, some people who love to play anyway, will make you profit in the long run if you always raise the bet with good hands.
It's just my opinion bro, i'm sure there are people here who can help you a lot more than I can.
Good luck at the tables!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands