Avatars: Do you play a certain style based on a player's avatar

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Emil Patel (2 months 2 million) once stated that players don't respect him as they should because he had a female avatar against his full tilt profile.

Is there a ring of truth to this and can this be exploited?

Queen of hearts

Queen of hearts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like my avatar, although very few people know where it is from.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The `scary` ones always make me laugh,,,to try and intimitate others with a `scary` avitar is so juvenile,it screams young,insecure,so i guess the answer is yes. I find these type players will overplay A+,firing 3 bullets,pushing all-in with any small pair,type play. (obvs not all,but a high pct) :cool:

F

fernandoprrt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually see the countries, but play against someone based on an avatar, no thanks.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Prolly ought to just stop playin if this is part of your game.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i prolly ot to,,,but i wot;)

bujjhati

bujjhati

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emil Patel (2 months 2 million) once stated that players don't respect him as they should because he had a female avatar against his full tilt profile.

Is there a ring of truth to this and can this be exploited?

This cannot be exploited in a consistent way, I mean, as you play more hands and people get to see your style your name or your avatar won't matter, and you should not make assumptions before seeing a few hands of your opponents and neither should they

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually see the countries, but play against someone based on an avatar, no thanks.

Prolly ought to just stop playin if this is part of your game.

This cannot be exploited in a consistent way, I mean, as you play more hands and people get to see your style your name or your avatar won't matter, and you should not make assumptions before seeing a few hands of your opponents and neither should they

Hey, I agree with all of you and I rely on my HUD #s and hand history to make my decisions. I don't even use the country of residence anymore. I've played very nit like Russians recently for e.g. :D:D:D

But there is developing a table image of a person based on ethnicity, how he/she dresses and their age. I think I read in a book (can't remember if it's super system) how young afro-american players tend to play like old nitty caucasian men (this is probably outdated now and you have Phil Ivey as an example that blows it out the water). But if you think about it realistically forming an image or sizing a person is subconscious and is based on our experiences playing similar player pools.

Women have long been thought of being more passive players that could be steamrolled over on a poker table. With the female players now we know for a fact that this isn't the norm. It doesn't help that some people still believe this and play accordingly.

Even Emil Patel gets ridiculed by the other 3 in that 2M2M episode but it was interesting to see how a high stakes player tried to use it to his advantage once upon a time.

I was only speculating and wondering if there was merit to this.

Thanks, Dims

bujjhati

bujjhati

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey, I agree with all of you and I rely on my HUD #s and hand history to make my decisions. I don't even use the country of residence anymore. I've played very nit like Russians recently for e.g. :D:D:D

But there is developing a table image of a person based on ethnicity, how he/she dresses and their age. I think I read in a book (can't remember if it's super system) how young afro-american players tend to play like old nitty caucasian men (this is probably outdated now and you have Phil Ivey as an example that blows it out the water). But if you think about it realistically forming an image or sizing a person is subconscious and is based on our experiences playing similar player pools.

Women have long been thought of being more passive players that could be steamrolled over on a poker table. With the female players now we know for a fact that this isn't the norm. It doesn't help that some people still believe this and play accordingly.

Even Emil Patel gets ridiculed by the other 3 in that 2M2M episode but it was interesting to see how a high stakes player tried to use it to his advantage once upon a time.

I was only speculating and wondering if there was merit to this.

Thanks, Dims

I see, well, you could gather data and see if there is a correlation, save it in a database and then search what you want, for example, nationality, you will probably find some tendencies but I think it will be so small that won't compensate the effort in this case

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Appraise the characteristics of poker players by the avatar - it's pointless. Avatars can be chosen in a completely random way and do not make any sense. It is necessary to evaluate more qualitatively, for example, according to the statistics of HUD-managers.

T

Thenightrain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have heard players on Twitch say people with pictures of them or eyeballs tend to be newer players. No basis to back up this assumption though I'm afraid.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like my avatar, although very few people know where it is from.

Shutter Island. Great movie. More fun to watch the second time.

I do not play differently due to a players avatar. They do help in remembering a player you played with before.

andreigabor

andreigabor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely look at people's avatar, I do not mind at all, I really do not care, I focus on the game.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the correct answer. The film is really good.

Remembering the player is not a problem if you have XM2 / PT4 installed. :cool:

Agreed but I do not use a HUD. I prefer to play live and want to anaylze people's actions and betting patterns as I play online to practice making those calculations for live play. Not saying others do this, but I personally got lazy when I used a HUD although it is a good way to go back and review your play. Certainly very valid reasons for both choices, but we are getting off topic.

R

Rodrigonog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the avatar has nothing to do with the game, it's just an image

Queen of hearts

Queen of hearts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some poker rooms generally do not allow users to upload their images. Only a selection of a small number of ready (ACR). All players have similar images, it seems the method does not work well ...

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dude don't drop your country. When people see Sri Lanka they almost always underestimate :D
As for the avatar, I don't know.

A

Aparajit

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avatars are amazing. I play poker on fulltilt just for the avatars. On pokerstars have to see different profile pics etc.

And yes people call me even when I have strong hands knowing im from india. ANd bluffing dont work well. Country is dangerous than avatar.
Hope there will be an option to hide it

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dude don't drop your country. When people see Sri Lanka they almost always underestimate :D
As for the avatar, I don't know.

Avatars are amazing. I play poker on fulltilt just for the avatars. On pokerstars have to see different profile pics etc.

And yes people call me even when I have strong hands knowing im from India. ANd bluffing dont work well. Country is dangerous than avatar.
Hope there will be an option to hide it

Hahaha! I've experienced this a few times. We're supposed to be more into cricket than poker it seems! :D

sakenby

sakenby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On someone else's avatar I don't pay attention,and I have the flag of my country - I am a patriot

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avartars

Yes, I try to find the coolest avartar possible. lol...

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to rate a player only on the avatar is generally not possible.. Probably avatar at the table can only draw attention and will make you empathize for another player will probably cause you some regret at his loss, or rather the joy of victory, but it can interfere with your concentration at the table be careful!