At what point do you know that you are good?

S

SuzanneEckert

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I am a regular poker player, but I always look for new strategies, I continually read books and watch video to learn new strategies.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
idk... I think everyone is pretty much bad. :tongue:

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a self reflection on whether you're a good player or not, then that would depend on what your consider to be good or sucessful. To me, being a good player not only means you're doing well what you do, but you're recognized by your peers as being good. For example, I don't think anyone on here will argue with me when I say KingCurtis is a good MTT player because he is doing well in them consistently.

I dont consider myself a good player(yet), but I know I'm definitely improving my game every time I play. Before the PS/FTP shutdown, I played mostly MTTs and I was horrible at them. In the years I played, I had not won a single MTT. I had won a couple multi-table SNGs, but they're not the same. So, it was very frustrating as a player to not be able to do well in MTTs. After the shutdown, I took a long break from poker, reread my poker books and actually absorbed the information. And since I been back playing, I've had consistent results in MTTs and am much more confident in my game. I believe I've won 5-6 MTTs, made final table a number of times, and run deep in them pretty often in the short few months I've been playing compared to the years prior.

Even though I do much better in MTTs, I dont think I'm a good player because I feel theres a lot more I need to learn and improve on. I would say, I'm above average at best.

Bee

Bee

to bee or not to bee
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Much needs to be learned. Always. I started to play out of curiosity. Now it has already become a part of me. I love when the adrenaline going. I think it takes a lot of patience and do it now. but to learn. learn and learn. :)

bracadelija

bracadelija

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes this game is simply perfect so requires constant training!

pifan

pifan

PiFace
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a self reflection on whether you're a good player or not, then that would depend on what your consider to be good or sucessful. To me, being a good player not only means you're doing well what you do, but you're recognized by your peers as being good. For example, I don't think anyone on here will argue with me when I say KingCurtis is a good MTT player because he is doing well in them consistently.

I dont consider myself a good player(yet), but I know I'm definitely improving my game every time I play. Before the PS/FTP shutdown, I played mostly MTTs and I was horrible at them. In the years I played, I had not won a single MTT. I had won a couple multi-table SNGs, but they're not the same. So, it was very frustrating as a player to not be able to do well in MTTs. After the shutdown, I took a long break from poker, reread my poker books and actually absorbed the information. And since I been back playing, I've had consistent results in MTTs and am much more confident in my game. I believe I've won 5-6 MTTs, made final table a number of times, and run deep in them pretty often in the short few months I've been playing compared to the years prior.

Even though I do much better in MTTs, I dont think I'm a good player because I feel theres a lot more I need to learn and improve on. I would say, I'm above average at best.

hello Philthy been a while glad to see you here again

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started winning constantly. Although it might not have been so much good playing, but even far worse opponents. Second thing was that I could guess usually correct what opponents had in their hand before showdown.

Another question: when do you know that you're not so good anymore in comparison to other players? Is it more results or just a feeling that you're not soul-owning them any more?

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question .
For me I first need to know a few things every time I sit down at a poker table. Cash Game or tourneys it does not matter.
1) I am I reading the table the best possible for me and my style
2)Are the table Dynamics right for me or do I need to change it
3) Do I Know what Players are weaker ( easiest for to get chips ) and what players are more skilled then others .
4) What areas do the players like to make moves and can I make adjustments to better benefit from them .
5) What can I defend or play against most styles with out having to shut down and tighten up giving my oppenent the better of me for tightening up too much
6) What type of game strategies do I need to play against this table
7) Can I get a read on this table quick ( is my reading of the players efficient or too slow )
8) This is a good one many have trouble with -- Is my skill better then the others at the table ? If so am I able to have the know how to manuver them to play in my benefit ?

This is just some of what I need to know when playing.
If your using the HUD then you need to know what all the numbers you set things to , to understand them quickly.
You will need to know what each means because this tells how and what you can possible do (play) with the hand you get and the position your in at that time.
Most of all is being able to be consistant and have the ablility to manuver and adjust to any situation that can come at you when sitting at the table.

There is no solid way of saying this player is this good and this player is this good .
About all you can do is compare players at the table with how they play and react.
Why is this? because poker is and gets so indepth that some things are what I called layered in order to play out that if you dont know where the 1rst layer started you cant understand the moves .

Putting Why on a basic perspective look at it this way one player may be say to lvl 10 on preflop play and lvl3 betting but his post flop maybe lacking down to say lvl 3.Now you take another person who is say lvl 5 preflop but a lvl 9 post flop to the turn but after the turn on the river he dropts down to lvl 2 and his 3 and 4 bets are say lvl 4 lvl 6. To say one person is better then a nother comes to how well they play the game in an all arround perspective.

Long read but I hope you get the just of the post.
Hard work work with understanding and experience then you may notice the difference between your play and others .

Good Skill at the Table

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In your local cardroom, if you are mostly gaining every night (even less), then we can say youre better than most of them. There will be off nights but majority, you are winning, I can conclude youre good.

A

AnCarolina19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you start to see that you are good player when you start to see your results to appear. May never appear for having chance or so ... or weak beings xD but if you're really good results will appear sooner or later

T

Teofealter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are winning then I think you're good.

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yall know that you're good when people stop inviting you to their home games :D Its either that or you're smelling funny :D Or you might act Hellmuthish when you play and they dont like it :D

Apparently i don't know the answer :D
Why is that might be????

Am i bad at poker???
:(

:D

L

lobbyrunner

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mostppl who want to make money playing poker as well willput pessimism before advice. one dude said luck is part of the game lol. just continue the grind and believeucqn makemoney

L

lobbyrunner

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yall know that you're good when people stop inviting you to their home games :D Its either that or you're smelling funny :D Or you might act Hellmuthish when you play and they dont like it :D

Apparently i don't know the answer :D
Why is that might be????

Am i bad at poker???
:(

:D

theres a dude who constantly complains that he has the worst luck. but allhe does is talk about the hands he is playing and the hands he is folding.i dont think he knows hes hurting his playing by talking. hes always the first one to go too. its great

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is in results and to me consistency are you consistent your play. Sure good days bad days but overall each day week month year? How do you fair? Do you stay consistent overall do you push and lose much of what you gained back do you have rules?

Is hard to move up each steps has its trials and issues in the game.

I get sometimes you get lucky hell maybe you even had a big win or two? Yet honestly if you do not have a strong foundation I would bet you give it all back over time:)