bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The rule of 4 and 2 is a quick shortcut for helping you to work out the
percentage odds of completing a draw in Hold’em. To get your percentage odds: Multiply your outs by 2 when you are on the flop waiting for the turn.
Multiply your outs by 2 when you are on the turn waiting for the river.
Multiply your outs by 4 when you are on the flop waiting for the river (opponent is all-in).
When you have multiplied your outs by either 4 or 2, you will get a percentage that you can compare with your pot odds to work out whether or not it’s worth calling with a drawing hand.

Use another method? Share with me and others.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Erm... yeah. I just use the actual odds.

I've got a printout of them stuck to the wall next to the computer - Google "texas hold'em odds chart" and you'll find plenty of them. Use them enough and they'll stick in your head (especially since all the lines after about 11 outs are rarely if ever used).

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yup!
The 4 & 2 though becomes inaccurate when we're drawing to more than 9outs. To compensate for this you need to set your equations up like this:
eg.
let's say you have 14outs

( 4 x 14 ) - ( 14 - 9 ) = 56-5 = 49%

subtract 9 from the number of outs you've calculated, then subtract that number from the number of outs multiplied by either '4' or '2' . You will find this to be very accurate.

There's a couple of charts in Phil Gordon's book (I think it's the Little Green) where he shows you what size of bets you can be profitably calling depending upon # of outs you have, & likewise, how big of bets you need to be making for your opponent to be making a mistake to make the call (keeping in mind this is not figuring upon implied odds, ie. if your opponent will actually pay you off if you make that gutter, lol.. and is mostly geared towards tournament style play).

Poker Rules - Poker Games