Is any winning player online running on or above the EV line?

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the title say it all really. I find that my EV line is very much above the hands that go to showdown.

I'm on my phone so can't post a pic of my graph but in around 10k hands the lines go something like:

Red(nsdw): +400bb
Blue(sdw): -230bb
Orange(aiEV):+450bb
Green(tw): +170bb

I have only just recently started to dig in to the math regarding equity and its still a handful but I think I am slowly getting the hang of it.

I also wonder if that is telling me something about my playstyle and if I should adjust somehow.

Not sure if non showdown winnings also counts into the total EV line as well.

Might be the wrong place to ask, and if it is could some kind moderator please move this thread to a better fitting place? Thanks <3

Also if any winning player would like to share graphs it would be epic.

Thanks Images

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a micro stakes player, so I dont really have a graph for you, but I think I can help you with the math bit.

+EV means expected value, it doesnt mean assured value, so even if you played a ton of hands due to variance, +EV player could still be in the red. That also means a -EV player could be in the green.

Over time though this should fix itself, atleast in theory, but tilt and other factors could see a good player suffering bad beats go into further tilt and throw away stacks, so even though most of the hands this player played was +EV, the hands played in -EV cost a ton more.

Hopefully my bump will draw some attention from the bigger guys for a better explanation :)

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a micro stakes player, so I dont really have a graph for you, but I think I can help you with the math bit.

+EV means expected value, it doesnt mean assured value, so even if you played a ton of hands due to variance, +EV player could still be in the red. That also means a -EV player could be in the green.

Over time though this should fix itself, atleast in theory, but tilt and other factors could see a good player suffering bad beats go into further tilt and throw away stacks, so even though most of the hands this player played was +EV, the hands played in -EV cost a ton more.

Hopefully my bump will draw some attention from the bigger guys for a better explanation :)

Hello and thank you very much for the reply :) I'm so happy!

I know enough to understand that +EV is not the same as assured value and that in theory + EV should within a reasonable sample be positive. My line never is though lol.
Usually me tilting is taking a shot at a higher stake and fail miserably >_<

However I've noticed from looking at other ppl's graphs that their red line (NSDW) is more like slightly above 0 or slightly below 0.
This might be me overthinking since I can't be sure they are really winning players in the long run, but this must mean that I may be:

A: Bad at getting good value from my good hands since most players fold at or before the river with marginal hands

B: Decent in getting people to fold marginal hands at turn or river.

It does seem logical I think but I'm still very much theorizing about this and I would like more people to give me some input. Please help a scrub out :D