Any thoughts on how to play J8s?

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happened today at the mtt... well, with no further ado was eliminated for a QQ. But my question is... The UGT raised and, as he was playing really loose, i chose to shove at the button expecting his fold.. of course it didn't happen and he call.
Still, do you guys think it was a good call my All-in?
New at poker so your opinion would be from a great help

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happened today at the mtt... well, with no further ado was eliminated for a QQ. But my question is... The UGT raised and, as he was playing really loose, i chose to shove at the button expecting his fold.. of course it didn't happen and he call.
First off it lost and IMO if it losses its a bad call. However I usually fold that hand unless opening late. So Imo you should have folded especially if utg bet. As a rule utg is only gonna open if they have a good hand.:rolleyes:

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well yes, I do agree with that.. usually I would fold this hand.. my bet was against his looseness, and forgot to mention that he was shortstack.. Anyways living and learning LoL
Thanks mate

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing J8 should be a fkng joy. It's usually one of those hands that I'd play in a ring game, usually 6-max, in any pos. In a trny that's one of those hands that I'd reserve to playing in the cut-off/the blinds. If suited maybe in mid-pos depending on the stacks.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold for me,maybe if i decide to chase a color,then call,but i dont wanna waste my chips with this cards.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove with J8s???

Sorry but I can't agree with your logic or shove, you most likely could've got away with a call. J8 suited is at best a 54% chance to win...mediocre odds and give the opponent credit for his position, Just a call and see the flop and if you connect then give her...:):):)

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry but I can't agree with your logic or shove, you most likely could've got away with a call. J8 suited is at best a 54% chance to win...mediocre odds and give the opponent credit for his position, Just a call and see the flop and if you connect then give her...:):):)
It does seems the best idea indeed
Obviously the ugt has a strong range in hands, otherwise he wouldn't do so... Anyways! Thanks for sharing [emoji1306] I doubt it will happen again under this circumstances
Cheers

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
j8s is very good to defend you BB or to increase the final positions if the action reaches you in fold.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You have to careful making excuses for playing J8 - it's a bad habit to get into.

We can all sympathize that it was against a loose player but J8 is such a mediocre hand it should be folded. Try asking 'what am I beating at best...J7?' then it seems like a weak play.

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play J8s if i had a confortable stack in final positions and if notice the table is tight or full of limp players.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
If it folds to you and you think you can see a flop cheaply in late position then give it a go, like others have said this was a fold as UTG raised, it's never a shove pre flop.

:top:

Freewka6101129

Freewka6101129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not a very good hand, either a rival fish or it’s just luck, if you play at micro limits you often see this, it’s better not to play at such

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course. Throw it in. As a novice player, it is better to avoid such a situation. I think you need to be a more experienced player to play such cards correctly.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

How many BBs did you have?

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many BBs did you have?
Can't remember exactly It's been a while, but I was short.. surely not more than 15BB.. couldn't just wait for the perfect hand you know?! I guess my biggest mistake was take the villain for granted LoL

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Only thought of playing j8 is dont!

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think you probably got caught up in the "he's playing every hand" trap and forgot that your cards matter, too.

Against overly aggressive players, you actually want to tighten up a bit, not fight their looseness with an even more loose style. Let them win a few small pots then take them for all they have. Don't donk off with J8s.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
  • fold pre in ep/mp
  • open in lp
  • check in bb
  • call small raise in bb if you close action
  • open jam 8 bbs or less for any position
...this is what i'd do.