whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I would recommend you Dan Harrington on Hold'em Vol. 1.
It is a classical poker book, that explains detailled all basics and also further concepts and he also has written different Volumes, that you can read later on.

About your poll, I would say, it depends on the learner.
Watching a video is of course much faster than reading.

kara260588

kara260588

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, you can learn something quickly on the video. But still the books are better, and not just in the study of poker.
So I prefer more books for study.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, you can learn something quickly on the video. But still the books are better, and not just in the study of poker.
So I prefer more books for study.

well. For online poker I would recommend definitely watching the videos. Books aren't so great. Of course they explain many standard stuff like cbets, 2nd barrels etc. but in general online poker can be very crazy sometimes. Ppl just act very differently in many situations and in my opinion by watching the videos you can learn how to handle with that situations. You just learn much faster and much better by watching videos.

PuMa8818

PuMa8818

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books are past. In mathematics, you can study certain articles. But the whole stories are not the same. Video is faster and more efficient. In general, practice is best)

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I prefer to watch the video.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watch movies or twitch streamers good luck.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked "The food chain theory" in Insider secrets of online poker by Theo Cage and harrington is pure essential for sure. There are sooo many books, and most of them are more or less the same, but Videos are as well, aren't they?
The difference is in books it is easier to include additional information and thoughts, diagrams and charts. If, on the other hand, anyone has a nice collection of HELPFUL videos (more coaching than spectacular hands) I would be glad to see it being shared here.
But on youtube for example you will sooner or later see video no147 of Phil Hellmuth tilting or badbeats or the magical reading skills of Daniel.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’d add Johnston little books. They cover cash and Mtt games and are a lot easier to read than some of the really math intensive books out their today. I’d also add just searching for random stuff online and you’ll find a lot of really good articles about beginner topics

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't know what to vote for. I have only read one book "Moorman's Book of Poker" and I still haven't finished it. I bought it years ago.

I believe the best way to learn is to watch a pro like Lex Veldhuis, easywithaces, Spraggy, James Staples and Talonchick on Twitch.

Also good ones like training sites, Raise your edge, Upswing, run it once, Advanced poker training, Tournament poker edge and Red chip poker.

Your poll needed more options to choose from, if you had added Twitch, that would of been my answer.

You will have some free access to Raise your edge on youtube as they have added free videos to help your game. Gripsed is also good on youtube. Tournament poker edge has also got some videos that you can watch on youtube. Red chip poker is also on youtube too, so just look at a poker training site and see if they have uploaded some free videos for you to get stuck into.

Hope that helps :)

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would recommend watching videos on YouTube can help you improve quickly. There are a lot of tutorials and reviews of tournaments which are very applicable. Channel I recommend would be Runitup, Gripsed Poker, and the channel by pokerstars School.

sissto

sissto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer watching videos and streams of poker pros!

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Since you are a beginner I would suggest you twitch but find some micro/mid stakes regulars because they approach the game kinda different compared to a high stakes player.

To answer the question, nowadays there is so much quality and free content out there, you can find all the information you wish on the internet / youtube.I think it is a waste of time to read a book about poker for the entry stakes.If you want to give a shot to a book find the workbooks of Dan Harrington with scenarios and multiple choice quiz.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I study mathematics in poker based on books and articles,but mostly I prefer video...