Am I playing this right?

A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately when running deep in tournament with short stack survival play, I have been pretty good about waiting patiently for the right moments to steal or take the chance to double up. But there were a couple times I ended up losing at I am wondering if I played the hand properly.

Lets say its late in tourney and I have 10-20 BB left and the rest of table at least 40-50BB +. The blind levels are 1250/2500 so I don't have a lot of cards left to catch. If I am dealt AKo as the Big Blind, and the whole table folds to just one in late position, who calls or min raises. Is it the wrong move for me to shove all in?

This exact scenario happened to me twice yesterday. BOTH times villain in late position had A8o vs. my AKo. Both times we got it in pre flop. BOTH times there was an 8 on the flop.

Am I just unlucky here and suffered the same 3 to 1 bad beat twice in a row? Please let me know your advice and comments, thank you.

J

Jacob 7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is the right move to go all in but if you see a repeated trend that it is not working maybe try to just flat call but most of the time im going all in

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think you are hoping to make him fold but your jam probably prices him in versus your range, hence the call. The suckout... that's for a different topic.

X

xx02pl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in is obivious good, but bad beats happen - without them poker has no sense ;)

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You made the right move both times
online poker is programmed this way, to bring you the most frustration possible.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately when running deep in tournament with short stack survival play, I have been pretty good about waiting patiently for the right moments to steal or take the chance to double up. But there were a couple times I ended up losing at I am wondering if I played the hand properly.

Lets say its late in tourney and I have 10-20 BB left and the rest of table at least 40-50BB +. The blind levels are 1250/2500 so I don't have a lot of cards left to catch. If I am dealt AKo as the Big Blind, and the whole table folds to just one in late position, who calls or min raises. Is it the wrong move for me to shove all in?

This exact scenario happened to me twice yesterday. BOTH times villain in late position had A8o vs. my AKo. Both times we got it in pre flop. BOTH times there was an 8 on the flop.

Am I just unlucky here and suffered the same 3 to 1 bad beat twice in a row? Please let me know your advice and comments, thank you.

No you are doing the absolute right thing in my book :D
Let him pay max value all the time he have worse hands, in the long run
you will bepaid off.
The fact the dealer screwed you over twice should not change anything.
Keep playing like that, and you will be rewarded ;)

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two times in a row to fail, this is also luck in one's way, because at a distance, you will win by no means all such hands. The main thing is that you are mathematically correct. This means that in the long run of such a game you will be a plus. There is such a period that they do not give out a good hand at all. And when it comes time to play on the stack, they call you with much worse hands, but it’s profitable for them by chance. This is the most difficult period in the tournament, when you did not manage to score at least 40BB + for a comfortable game at this stage of the tournament and most often this is the end of the game, even with the best hands. But this is no reason to deviate from its best game. At the distance you will be presented with a chance to win.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are playing it right. I do the same thing and I lose 9 out of 10 times because I have no luck, but I know that I am making the right move, and eventually I should be ahead, and you also.

cris1964

cris1964

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you, you were unlucky :(

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, from my point of view the movement was correct, with that stack allin AK for me is the right thing to do it was just bad luck, greetings and good luck in the following tournaments

B

BrotherUm

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens friend, but in the long run you will win. Make volume to soften the variance.

A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, from my point of view the movement was correct, with that stack allin AK for me is the right thing to do it was just bad luck, greetings and good luck in the following tournaments

I agree with you, you were unlucky :(

I think you are playing it right. I do the same thing and I lose 9 out of 10 times because I have no luck, but I know that I am making the right move, and eventually I should be ahead, and you also.

Two times in a row to fail, this is also luck in one's way, because at a distance, you will win by no means all such hands. The main thing is that you are mathematically correct. This means that in the long run of such a game you will be a plus. There is such a period that they do not give out a good hand at all. And when it comes time to play on the stack, they call you with much worse hands, but it’s profitable for them by chance. This is the most difficult period in the tournament, when you did not manage to score at least 40BB + for a comfortable game at this stage of the tournament and most often this is the end of the game, even with the best hands. But this is no reason to deviate from its best game. At the distance you will be presented with a chance to win.

No you are doing the absolute right thing in my book :D
Let him pay max value all the time he have worse hands, in the long run
you will bepaid off.
The fact the dealer screwed you over twice should not change anything.
Keep playing like that, and you will be rewarded ;)

You made the right move both times
Online poker is programmed this way, to bring you the most frustration possible.

All in is obivious good, but bad beats happen - without them poker has no sense ;)

Yes it is the right move to go all in but if you see a repeated trend that it is not working maybe try to just flat call but most of the time im going all in

It happens friend, but in the long run you will win. Make volume to soften the variance.

Thank you to everyone for reassuring me and the helpful advice! I have seen a positive trend the past few days with more volume of games played and sticking to the plan.
GL GL