Am I folding too often?

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been in too many situation I can count where I fold preflop with hands like
Q,4 to 9 s, u
K,4 to 9 s, u
Q,4 to 9 s, u

9 7s
8 10s

Also backing out of many multi-way all ins with
k 4 - 9s and q 4 - 9s

and they turn out to be the nuts.

When I have a guy doing frustration All Ins and I have roughly 5-6x his stack I also usually fold those unless I have at the very least K10.

am I folding too much?

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, in the long run I believe you will be ahead. Sometimes it best not to look at the board after you fold. Generally, "the board" represents the luck factor, not the odds calculation that you are adhering to. Good luck.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are making the correct folds.

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are making the correct folds.
maybe but I am also getting to final tables often the underdog at 8/9 or 7/9. I manage to win some of these (built a small bankroll of 40$ freerolling) but often I have no bullying opportunities.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi 2g1c

some of these hands are playable but it depends on what position you are in.

Other factors which can make them playable are stack size, players left to act, action in front of you etc.

What comes out on the board is not important, as this is completely random. And once you fold a hand it's best to almost forget what your cards were :p

As for when to play, It's a bit more fine tuned that simply 'what hand do I have'

Here are few videos that will help you on the topic, they're pretty in depth :)

Welcome to the cardschat community, it's great to have you with us!

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been in too many situation I can count where I fold preflop with hands like
Q,4 to 9 s, u
K,4 to 9 s, u
Q,4 to 9 s, u

9 7s
8 10s

Also backing out of many multi-way all ins with
k 4 - 9s and q 4 - 9s

and they turn out to be the nuts.

When I have a guy doing frustration All Ins and I have roughly 5-6x his stack I also usually fold those unless I have at the very least K10.

am I folding too much?

You are not the only such player that throws a lot, I also have many situations in the game when I also fold the same cards as you - it is very offensive for me , but you don’t need to get upset much in the cards because other winning cards fall out, I wish you good luck in your games

D

DamocValentin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are doing the correct folds. I did some experiments. And as long as i did folds like you ynd not playing all the hands,I ended up playing better and beeing among the pest players at the table.

R

Rybod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your folds are always the correct calls when it comes to draws and pot odds you are given with all - in or other bets.

in the long run, you will be ahead and not out. let them gamble on draws, you can play for profit.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are all folds. No you are not folding too much when it comes to those hands.

fredastar777

fredastar777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your folds are correct. you can decide to make all in with 48 and get table 884qa... but in longer distance you will see even JA sometimes must be folded...

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K4-K9s and Q4-Q9s will -always- be +EV folds in multiway all-in situations outside of maybe some weird big stack spot. It's best to not worry about what you would've flopped. You probably aren't thinking about the times you make a standard fold and it turns out to be correct. Being results oriented is not a good habit to have!

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is more about timing then your play by what your saying.... i think mostly good folds but are you in the money??? you have to know when is go time having 6 times an all in you can at times play a little looser.... now me when play i try to play up to 4 or 6 tables... if ive already won my buy ins for the day ill choose the tournaments to focus on and take chances based on where i sit in tourney and how close i am to final tables.... key is to get to final first for me im often behind but 100% believe im gonna win if make the right decisions.... six times at a final table im probably calling off somehands but i d not like king x or queen x at all will be more ace x suited for me honestly.....ace high has a lot better shot.... gl

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not say your folding too much. The way I see it is better to be safe and cautious then reckless and careless.

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no you are making the correct folds.

Folding in Poker