Always Be Raising

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I heard this from some pro a few years back and thought it was crazy... but it turns out you can get some good results if you follow this rule, whenever you bet.

Now, obviously, it doesn't mean you throw caution to the wind and get involved in every hand; that raising will be some magic bullet. Nope! You must have cards in your range.

However, the point is that it's good to assert yourself at the table. Make others fold, or really think about their hand before they call.

But what if they re-raise, you ask? Well, then you just got some good information about that player's hand. And you can determine what's best from there.

The other aspect of this rule is that you must NEVER be the first to shove. That's the worst. There so much more to gain with a simple raise, and you don't need to risk your stack.

Criticisms and comments welcome. I love to read feedback from you guys. :)

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raising with the wind at your back.

A rule of always raising, , being assertive, to show dominance, it';s great when you are getting the cards, or are on a roll, climbing the ladder, after a few sizable wins.
Is this rule adaptable to a situation, say a 27 off? If that's the situ, do you just use a small raise, possibly lose it, to enhance you table image?

Do the pros with the raising method, have a range of losses they are comfortable with? Say a dollar mount, vs a % of your stack?

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A rule of always raising, , being assertive, to show dominance, it';s great when you are getting the cards, or are on a roll, climbing the ladder, after a few sizable wins.
Is this rule adaptable to a situation, say a 27 off? If that's the situ, do you just use a small raise, possibly lose it, to enhance you table image?

Do the pros with the raising method, have a range of losses they are comfortable with? Say a dollar mount, vs a % of your stack?

I suppose you'd apply it to whatever cards are in your range. Personally, I'd never try it with 27 off, but I'm sure there are plenty of players that would. Regarding loss-range, I'm sure that's a personal preference as well. Only you know what kind of losses make you start to get uneasy, really.

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This works when you are on MB. But in most cases it will lead to collapse.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can tell you that even with that style of playing, agressive players will not back down, and if you get caught bluffing with poor hands, there goes your image.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good post with some interesting observations and responses, i only disagree with the shoving first option - i have often done this when either ahead, locked up a hand or completely know that my opponent(s) is going to call or is fishing an open ender..it gets me a lot of value and also sends out a clear message, if you want to fish - i will make you pay to play.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I heard this from some pro a few years back and thought it was crazy... but it turns out you can get some good results if you follow this rule, whenever you bet.

Now, obviously, it doesn't mean you throw caution to the wind and get involved in every hand; that raising will be some magic bullet. Nope! You must have cards in your range.

However, the point is that it's good to assert yourself at the table. Make others fold, or really think about their hand before they call.

But what if they re-raise, you ask? Well, then you just got some good information about that player's hand. And you can determine what's best from there.

The other aspect of this rule is that you must NEVER be the first to shove. That's the worst. There so much more to gain with a simple raise, and you don't need to risk your stack.

Firstly, any rise, even 27, has fold equity, it adds a plus to your game.
Secondly, it depends on your position at the table and were there before you raise or limp.
Of course, if you open on the button, KO or SB, you can make a raise with any card, but if you want to make a raise UTG, such as Doyle Brunson (2-10), I do not envy you ... Though it also depends from your previous game at this table and the style of game players at the table.

S

sasalupinaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
usually the one who picks up and takes it even ate a combination of no, I really like to play poker, but sometimes the cases where the bank takes the one who should not.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

During past several days the best hand I get during the first hour in tourney is A9s or AJo. Not even a pair. How can you be agressive with such luck?

Can you be aggressive and always re-raise in small buy-in tourney or in a freeroll where 90% of players prefer to go all-in pre-flop instead of playing poker?

If you're talking about some deep tournament situation or about serious cash game, where people value their stacks, then there are 5 types of actions:
1) Fold
2) Check bet
3) Defense bet
4) 3-bet
5) bluff bet

In my personal opinion, i think that players who limp pre-flop and check-call after the flop are located below "the fish" level. I would check on a flop in a serious game only and ONLY if i hit quads on a flop and there are several aggressive players sitting behind me.

T

TMACKEY2018

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree for the most part, my theory is if its good enough to call its good enough to raise.

C

Cloud2218

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate to just say I agree. But, yeah I think that's the whole point. You can say more but you don't really have too

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not believe in Always be _____(insert anything) except may Always adapt.

Using aggression is great if you are implementing it properly and it will help for sure if you do not play like a maniac. But if you play other solid players eventually you need more than aggression to win consistently.

As for never be the first to shove??? Completely disagree with this statement. Again depends on the table, position and chip stack etc. of course there are plenty of instances where people shove when its not necessary (and I am learning a lot about this currently). But "never" first to shove? Is not a strategy I would implement.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play this style of play often enough when I want to take risks from the start of a tournament but it is very difficult to manage all his hands.even if we manage to win at the table and that everything works on wheels.you will never be safe from a set or AA pair served against which you will have little chance to win.This implies that at one time or another you will have to change the style of play because in the long run it is no longer profitable to play all these hands.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since the rule completely disregards position it is probably not an advice you wanna follow....

There are no " Do this EVERY TIME" rules in poker that make sense...

If your play doesnt differ between being UTG or being Button then You are doing something wrong...

So just keep in mind that usually the aggressor wins the pot and dont be afraid to raise your real good hands.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with raising more often and am trying to raise more often on the flop as you can gain more info this way, especially if villian has a high C betting frequency. It is actually cheaper in the long run to raise the flop rather than calling blind and not knowing exactly where your at. It also allows you to rep a stronger range and use an optimal turn card to keep barreling.
I also notice that few players will reraise optimal amounts. Many with strong hands will choose to go all in as soon as you show aggression which really tips off their hand strength sooner as opposed to later.

Preflop though I have nothing against limping and prefer it if the table is going to raise me. There are a large amount of limpers these days but at the same time people with high VPIP's often have built up a stack. Once someone limps it gives everyone the green light to over limp.

Last edited:
fadisn

fadisn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My simple experience, and as said here this will lead to collapse.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen that work for many players ,unfortunately I can't seem to make it work for me . I like to see alot of cheap flops , when the table allows it , and then play from there . Just find what is comfortable for you and that will probably be most successful for you .

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Always be raising except when your opponent keeps hitting the flop with their random hands. Raised my KK today on a Zoom game. Didn't end well against 75s and a straight.

K

Kalipro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree... always raise when first in... don't give the blinds a free ride. Also makes continuation bet work more often. It's a simple pattern that works and gives you alot of information. Just don't fall in love with any hand.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never be the first to shove is very bad advice - depends on your stack size.