BB goes all in for 60069
I call with my remaining stack of 18926
BTN folds
SB calls

SB shows AsAh, BB has KdKs

Flop: 10c 5s Ad
Turn: 7h
River: 6c

Obviously I lose. Was the call the right choice after the raise from SB and the shove from BB? Or would you have folded your QQ in this situation?

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
9 players on the table, blinds are 300/600

https://gg.gl/4iii

I'm UTG with QhQc. My stack is 20426.

I raise to 1500.
Folds x5
BTN calls
SB raises to 7140
BB goes all in for 60069
I call with my remaining stack of 18926
BTN folds
SB calls

SB shows AsAh, BB has KdKs

Flop: 10c 5s Ad
Turn: 7h
River: 6c

Obviously I lose. Was the call the right choice after the raise from SB and the shove from BB? Or would you have folded your QQ in this situation?

Hi Vlaad,

I don't think you can really get away from losing in this hand, no matter what you do. I certainly would never fold QQ pre flop. The only thing that could save you would be the Ad coming flop, you might be able to fold QQ at this point if you are not already pot committed.

Any time you lose to AA with KK or QQ you just have to accept it. The only thing you could learn from this hand is to consider what hand you would fold to the BB all-in. Would you fold JJ?, TT? 99? I would be folding 99, JJ/TT I am not so sure, if know more about my opponents I might call or fold these depending on the situation.

Hope this helps,

Big Red

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally for me, you just got a badbeat and played just right. I'm not sure exactly but this is what I think. Let's see what the others have to say.
Was there any info/notes/stats/anything else you might know about your opponents? Are they decent players who can realize that UTG raising from you means you really have a hand? And how much was the buy-in? If you didn't have any additional info about the way how SB and BB play, then you was right, I guess.
The only thing I don't like is raising 2.5 bb from UTG with queens when there was 9 players at the table and you have about 34 bb. I would say much better would be 3.5 or 4 big blinds.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There’s very few times where folding QQ is correct. This is not one of those times, I’m never folding QQ here with this stack size and blind amount. You were very unlucky to have the 3rd best starting hand while the small and big bling had the 1st and second best hands. This is unfortunate and a cooler hand. Not much you can do here but call and see the bad news. Very unlucky timing for QQ.

Vlaad

Vlaad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for all your answers. It was a freeroll, so it doesn't hurt too much :)

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Looks like you played the hand about as good as could be expected. Some hands we just cannot run away from. I may have folded if there was a 3rd caller, but 2 callers is still pretty good odds to win.

The KK premium. hand the BB received, I usually would call it a BB special.

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it very difficult to escape this spot.
because being a QQ freeroll you are nuts at any time.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with others you should call here.

The key factor is your stack. There are definitely times to fold QQ pre-flop at 100bb+. For example, if you raise UTG and face very tight players raising and re-raising you from mid position, then folding would usually be the best option at 100bb.

At 35bb, you should almost always be willing to get it all-in pre-flop with QQ and here you played the hand just right :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A cold 4-bet is always somewhat concerning. But I agree that with 35BB effective, we have to call it off with QQ. Maybe we are not loving it, but folding is simply to tight. Especially in a freeroll, where some players are just looking to gamble it up and "go strong or go home". If this was my first time to play a major tournament like Sunday Millions, and it was near the bubble, then maybe I consider folding though.

Last edited:
Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A cold 4-bet is always somewhat concerning. But I agree that with 35BB effective, we have to call it off with QQ. Maybe we are not loving it, but folding is simply to tight. Especially in a freeroll, where some players are just looking to gamble it up and "go strong or go home". If it was my first time to play a major tournament like Sunday Millions, and it was near the bubble, then maybe I consider folding though.

That's a great point, my saying "almost always" is too strong -- there are plenty of times in bubble/payjump spots where you can fold.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I reckon it depends on how aggressive your tale was. I would porbably have made the call, specially because you guys weren't too deep. If it was a bounty tournament it was definetly a right call.

T

TheBackpack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you should ever fold QQ for any reason no matter what for 66 BB. It's insanity, 3rd best hand.