All-in preflop with high cards

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen many players put all-in preflop with hands like AJs or +, even A10 or KQ. I understand that with a SPR of less than 5 this may be an acceptable move, but at the beginning of a tournament I just don't understand it. I know that many do it out of ignorance, but I have seen in cardchat tournaments players that I consider good (or at least I know they have won a lot) do the same. I think that for someone to pay you, they will have at least one pair, so that your flip coin still has to lose (yes, almost nothing, but 45% is not half). So I want to know if I am being very conservative and flip coin with high cards is a move that I should incorporate among my movements.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's pretty bad, if you go all in early in the tournament with those cards, only QQ+ AKs call.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
If you see a good player go all in PF early in a tournament with less than AK, he probably just playing a cheap tournament or even a freeroll for fun.

He can spend his time better and is looking to either double up early and have a better chance for some actual money or bust and go do something different. Like play at higher stakes.

If it is a bad player, his only chance is to get lucky and if he knows that the equities is often closer preflop than post flop. Even 7,2 off suit has about 33% chance against AK so he wins a least a third of the times with any two cards if he isn't dominated or against an over pair.

If the money means nothing for them some players also just likes to gamble for the thrill of it - sometimes even then the money means a lot. But then it is a gamble addiction (and a sickness).

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is very true. I can act innocent but i also sometimes play fast and go all in with the cards such as AJ,AQ etc The reasons for this play at least in my case are:
1.problems with internet connection-i tend to get frustrated so i go all-in because i cannot watch the play of my opponents on the table and to judge my decisions from that.
2.tiredness-when i enter cc tournament very tired or i crave for sleep i go all-in with these hands
3.tilt-for example when i lose against someone even if i predict his hand because he got lucky on the turn or river i tend to go to the tilt and fire all-in
4.when i am constantly pounded-one thing i cannot stand is to be anyone's b**ch on the table so if get pounded for some time i will fire back
There are even more reasons but this post is already long and i think you get the picture.So notice this bad habits and erase them in your play and you will at least be a better player than me if you already aren't.

macha2003

macha2003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree with you. I see people doing this at online games when the buy in is really cheap or free roll.
I do not do this no matter what because I respect the game. If I choose to play a game no matter if it is free or cheap, I do not think going all-in with lower than 10's or better or KA is simply not respecting to the game.
I hope you can catch people like that and take their money :)

Good luck :)

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I have seen a lot worse than shoving AJs in the early stage.

calling 100bb shove with 54o
reshoving 75bb with 33
calling an 80bb shove with A3o on a A 8 7 flop
calling an 15bb 3bet with 94o preflop

just to Name a few.

there are a lot of weak Players in the very early stage of a Tournament. you should be happy to have those, because they will build your stack :)
sure, sometimes they beat you, but most of the time they just donk off all there Chips within the first hour.

going for a coinflip is fine, but not with Deep stacks of 50+bb (unless you have AK).

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I would be aware of is that if someone looks like they are shoving any two every hand, you might be able to call with decent aces, middle pocket pairs but bear in mind how many players are still to act behind who could have a huge hand. Also, in hypers, you should be shoving wider than you think to steal the blinds so it should depend on the blind structure.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually all in plays like that are frustrating because its all luck. Unforunately things like that you have to get lucky to get far in the tournament. My suggestion is any mid to high pocket pair and any Ace with paint you have to take a chance to advance far.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's pretty bad, if you go all in early in the tournament with those cards, only QQ+ AKs call.

Doug Polk would tell you that you have to balance your range, if you only do it with big hands, opponents will always fold you

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doug Polk would tell you that you have to balance your range, if you only do it with big hands, opponents will always fold you

Oh I take back what I said, I misread the last part

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving is very different than calling an all in. You make money by shoving and lose by calling most of the time.
Shoving AJs when short is not a bad thing to do

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Often come across such players. this is found at low limits and freerolls. The goal is to increase the stack as quickly as possible and play aggressively while exerting pressure by increasing rates. In such situations, there is a plus, having QQ + AK, you can double your bank.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Agree with the aforementioned comments.

Especially in the very early stages of the tourney, any insta shove with anything other than AA or KK is pretty questionable. And of course shoving hanbds like KQs or A10 is a sheer stupidity.

In the freerolls although, there are plenty of bad players who shove with even worse cards.....

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like the answer that post #4 gave. There are many reasons we play poker. Sometimes i do not have the time for a 4 hour sit down game, so I play maniac style. Sometimes the last thing I want to do is sit, so I will go all in with high pairs. Sometimes I want to be paid for my time and do not want to give the game even 15 minutes of my time, so I will play a gamble type game, where I am gonna win enough chips to be ITM within first 15 minutes in the game or I will be sitting on the sideline busted. Other times, I am so sick of my nit style of play, that I play a loose game.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen many players put all-in preflop with hands like AJs or +, even A10 or KQ. I understand that with a SPR of less than 5 this may be an acceptable move, but at the beginning of a tournament I just don't understand it. I know that many do it out of ignorance, but I have seen in cardchat tournaments players that I consider good (or at least I know they have won a lot) do the same. I think that for someone to pay you, they will have at least one pair, so that your flip coin still has to lose (yes, almost nothing, but 45% is not half). So I want to know if I am being very conservative and flip coin with high cards is a move that I should incorporate among my movements.

I'm sure the all-ins you are speaking of are in freerolls, which happen every time. The $10 freeroll is just a bingo tournament.