All in pre-flop

rensks

rensks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everybody, just want to know your points of view
What do you think aboit going all in in the pre-flop is it a big mistake? Because you dont know how the flop is gonna be, or is it a mistake not to go all in for example with a pair of aces, and give the opponent the oppportunity to see the flop and make a better game?
What do you think? Lately i've been smashing my head trying to discover which one is the better way to go

papi1207

papi1207

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try to get all-in preflop with just one player :cool:

GAmadbomber

GAmadbomber

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Your position plays a pretty big role. Particularly with those that tend to limp in.

rensks

rensks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
uff it just seems to be like throwing the dices, its just to risk for me...

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends of your stack, your cards and the position you are in the table. If you are short stack, with any pockets you can go all in pre flop basically. If you aren't short, you have to analyse your position and the stack of the others players.

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you go all in with Aces, how likely will it be that someone calls? If I knew I would get at least one caller with pocket aces, I would shove them every time.

Yes, there is risk. There is always going to be risk though. In fact, there tends to be more if you play it passively, since that player limping with J6o would fold preflop rather than see that J86 flop and crack your aces.

As far as dealing with risk, this is what your bankroll management is for. The idea is that your bankroll is large enough that if you lose a BI or two making good decisions (or bad, but hopefully not) that you are still in good shape. Getting all-in preflop with an 80%-20% advantage over your opponent (in the example with AA) would be a good decision. You will lose sometimes, but in the long run you'll win. You Bankroll needs to be large enough to absorb these losses so they don't cripple you.

LinkornU

LinkornU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, it's not a mistake if you're shortstacked and you do this from late position with decent cards

alipalip

alipalip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!
I play at NL2-NL5. My oppionion is that in microstakes you can go all in preflop with QQ+, AK
But is still depends from position, number of players in pot and reads about Villain

If you are in UTG/Mp positon don`t go all in with QQ just rise, than if you got a reraise from 1 player you can choose to go all in or just call. If Villain is a losse aggresiv player you can go all in if he is a NIT just call.

Same situation if you are in BTN, SB or BB you can go all in QQ+AK if you are first to bet, if there was a rise from UTG/MP you ahve to be more careful with QQ

debriz

debriz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I got more profit in shoving All in but depend on the position and hand selection. If you have 10BB left just all in or fold option.

duckeyflop17

duckeyflop17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to only do it in position with short stack

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is dependent on the tourney format and stack sizes

you can look up "nash equilibrium" to get an idea on short stack play

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not a mistake, if you have a short stack, but if you have 10 bb +, it is better to raise 3-4 bb, and then to move all in if flop is good or if you are sure, that your opponent have nothing. What about pocket AA, if you are on hads up, you can move all in, but as usual it is a raise 3-4 bb.

AvaPoker13

AvaPoker13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a tricky question because I've been cut off from major tournaments for only raise before the flop and let my opponents see the flop. When I go out with pocket aces and pocket kings I bet it does. In the other game strong hands aggressively .