K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
My experience always fold, AK excellent opening combination, but very often I only have my stack redy.What do you think?​

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are several factors to consider. The action leading up to the shove, the size of the opponent's stack, ICM, etc. But if you wanna consider just a random general situation I think it's mostly a call if someone short stacked open shoves against you and maybe a fold if it's a three- or four-bet all in from someone with a healthier stack than you.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
AK is a little worse than a flip against most holdings other than AA and KK. So really it comes down to the size of your stack vs. villain stacks, ICM plus how many players are left to act. Heads up I can't see it being a fold often except against the nittiest of nits.

FlamengoBR

FlamengoBR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:as4: :kd4: is a strong hand I think.But a simple deuce's can win if the flop turn and river don't hit these cards..

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Remember AK is a drawing hand.
Pre-flop it has potential, but even when it hits TPTK, in an action flop with 3 or more players the hand is vulnerable to sets, flushes and straights.
We all see AK and AQ and get excited but many times end up disappointed.

K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
I don't know how to deal with this combination, I don't add any card to the flop and fold it all over the flop, I don't know if I'm doing well?​

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:as4: :kd4: is a strong hand I think.But a simple deuce's can win if the flop turn and river don't hit these cards..

Agree. For example in yesterday CardsChat freeroll i lose my AKo against 44 all in and he hit third 4 at the flop :D

AK is good preflop to raise or call 3bb bet, ut not all in. Of course you could have luck and hit something big but usualy its bad decision.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember AK is a drawing hand.

This is an old cliché from live poker, and its very misleading. Preflop AK is only in bad shape against KK-AA, which it block, it is nearly flipping against 22-QQ, and it is ahead of everything else. So its certainly a hand, that should usually be played with a lot of aggression preflop. But that being said there are situations, where its correct to fold, because its very likely, that someone has exactly KK or AA, or its a tournament spot with serious ICM implications.

If it goes postflop, AK unimproved is a hand with showdown value, so its most correct to view it as a marginal made hand with drawing potential. Once again it beat every single hand, that did not make a pair, and this is typically the majority of hands. So there are plenty of spots, especially against a single opponent, where it can be completely correct and valid to bet for thin value or try to catch a bluff with AK high.

Its very amateurish to view 43, which flopped bottom pair, as "a hand", while viewing unimproved AK as "not a hand". The fact of the matter is, neither of these hands beat anything, your opponent is betting for value, but they typically beat all his bluffs, at least if its a small pot, and until the river they can both improve to a hand, which is often going to be the best. So they are essentially the same type of hand and should be played the same way.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the opponent and your stack. I try not to over play AK early in tournaments but there are spots where you have to play it aggressively nd accept outcome.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probability of winning in any game. Allin is or just calling with a raise. And the more players participate in the game, the lower your chance of winning with AK.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the odds indicate that AK AA KK is 80 percent chance of gain

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see players in the freerolls bet all-in with AK. They do this often, but the results are not always justified.

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I open with these cards and go all in, because I think it's a very strong hand. I always walked well with those cards. Interesting topic! Regards to all!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really dont like folding AK readless, with normal stack sizes, in a freeroll- a lot of time freeroll players can get it in with AJo etc. Another thing I like to do is when I see somebody jam AJo deep, take a note.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never played AK before either.......But last time play all that with the king in a pair above tens.Plays on 80 percent

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if in a tournament, I will see the number of opposing chips, my position on the table and read the opponent's game ... if I'm sure I will play aggressively ...

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very discussing situation here.Easiest situation in which you can be holding AK in your hand and your opponent is going all in and lets suppose that you are participating in the tournament is that you have for example at least 20 big blinds in your stack and in that situation then you can easily throw them knowing that you don't have to risk anything right now.Now this is all supposing that you don't know anything about of this player (you just been moved to this table or didn't played much hands at that same table etc...).So if that is my situation my answer would be i would fold AK o or s doesn't matter and continue to wait for my opportunity to increase my stack size.For any other situation you need to expand your question.

D

Dionys

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the stage of the tournament, how many people in the all-in and the size of the stack. At the beginning of the tournament we fold.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know probably calling AK all-in is not the best move however especially in tournaments with turbo blinds, it might be the best hand to shove all game.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My experience always fold, AK excellent opening combination, but very often I only have my stack redy.What do you think?​

The best thing you can do for your poker career, is to play several times at mid-high limits with a piece of paper on your monitor covering your cards, so you won't see if there is 72os or AA.
If you'll understand this lesson - you'll quit asking such questions - when to fold and when to play...

So far, from your message I see that you're playing with cards, while you have to play with players. It's ok at low limits, you have to play the cards, because most of the opponents don't know where the fold button is and don't care about the pennies that they've invested. But situation is different when your current pre-flop bet is higher than average daily salary in opponents country. 3betting without knowing your cards, but knowing your opponent is way more profitable than holding pocket aces without having any idea about your opponents brain chemistry.

C

crisgoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK es una mano para pagar y ver que cartas salen.