AK and low pocket pairs

G

gqr31ff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a hand out Effective more than a couple .no plus what if the couple to catch a monster on the flop and set very hard for me to move in general AK

B

binnk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a great hand, but I would rather have JJ or QQ .

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate it when people say AK is a drawing hand.

It has tremendous equity against a strong opponent range.

The later the tournament is, the more I agree with this statement, because at that point, stacks are shallower and those whose only play is to shove, are likely to shove with hands where AK is either FAR ahead (weaker Ax) or pocket pairs where you're racing and am not in that bad a shape.

The point is, I agree that AK is not a drawing hand if it's against a weaker Ace, though it's a re-drawing hand against a pocket pair because unless the pair flops/turns a set, you're still very live.

mendiolacubicle

mendiolacubicle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i love how "youregoodmate" explained the hand, I love your profile pic as well hahah! 😄😄😄

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After I read all the replies I see so many commenters whist after their meeting with 'youregoodmate'. Is that best u can do guys? lol

I'm frustrated...

Won't even try to say that AK and low pairs are good hands only when they hit nuts on the flop. I didn't say that. What? No!

V

vascoace09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love AK ,in the correct position :ALLIN

V

vascoace09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
After I read all the replies I see so many commenters whist after their meeting with 'youregoodmate'. Is that best u can do guys? lol

I'm frustrated...

Won't even try to say that AK and low pairs are good hands only when they hit nuts on the flop. I didn't say that. What? No!

I agree, and when come the river and stay nuts is soooo bad.

W

walleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is the coin flip hand in a lot of situations. How you use it depends on the cash game / tournament situation and opponent. In a tournament you sometimes will have to be all-in on the coin flip. In a cash game AK tends to be overvalued by weak players.

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
See my sig.

AK is definitely NOT a made hand. A made hand is anything better than high card.

It can be a good hand but equally it can be a very bad hand. It is mostly a bad hand when there is a low, connected flop particularly if you get the mind-set "I should win with this, regardless" as I know to my cost. :D

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Raise AK pre-flop, but if there is big action post-flop, proceed cautiously even if you hit TPTK..
You have to ask yourself, why is my opponent(s) continuing aggressively when the best card has hit the flop.
You can be facing 2 pair a set or an FD/SD, be over confident and quickly, dog tucker.
Should they be normally tight players post-flop be very careful.
LAGs you can usually proceed against with confidence.
Small pairs you are playing for set value pre-flop.If you miss and there is action post-flop, dump them.

Last edited:
P

Prodigy417

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Мне с АК легче выставиться чем с мелкой карманкой

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
See my sig.

AK is definitely NOT a made hand. A made hand is anything better than high card.

It can be a good hand but equally it can be a very bad hand. It is mostly a bad hand when there is a low, connected flop particularly if you get the mind-set "I should win with this, regardless" as I know to my cost. :D
AK isn't a made hand preflop, but it's the best unmade hand that you can be dealt. If you take a hand like 22 vs AK, 22 is the better hand preflop, but in preflop all-in situations, they're about 50/50. However, in non all-in situations, AK has more equity because there are more flops it can bet out on even if it misses than there flops that 22 can comfortably call.