P

Pnelly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
..Hi All
Not sure what you'll make of this.
On the last table of a 20p tournament...I'm second on chips, loose play, peps going all in on random cards..and I'm not sure how I ended up getting to here other than by 'caution' (never worked before!).
I get AK of clubs, on the button and the table goes round..winding up raise after raise....no one folding..a raise is the proverbial red rag.
I fold an AK!
3 peps knock themselves silly.
Down to 6 and I get handed QJ on the next hand..play that one because everyone's calmed down.
Win the game.

Good lesson in taking a breath/finger off of button and looking at bigger picture.
It worked, but felt very strange to throw away a suited AK..

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that took a lot to toss that hand I would have played it for sure

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sometimes it is just a matter of getting the rhythm of the table. If you have played in a room for a while and your gut is saying to fold, listen to your gut.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely the right move folding AK suited. I've played more conservatively when dealing with agro players and worked out well each time. Got me to the final 3.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isolation is key for power hands

One thing to always remember with great hands like AKs is that isolation is the key. If you cannot isolate the table down to 1 opponent than you lose your advantage very quickly. Use the CardsChat odds calculator to play around with some scenarios. If you're AKs vs 33 and there is one other player with a worse hand than you (such as QJo) your winning percentage drops to about 39%. Power hands start losing their power once more than one player sees the flop.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very dominate ace high.

C

cypherpup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you just have to fold no matter how painful it is especially AK. I have done it several times myself. All of those raises it was probably a good idea to fold preflop considering someone probably had a made hand. AK looks pretty until you run into a mid range pocket pair and they catch on the flop. Good job winning the game though.