AK on the bubble

J

jday00m

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trying to cash, fold. Trying to win Raise.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK knocks me out of more games than any hand, especially deep in,
Close to the bubble it can be worth folding to cash, but playing to win is the correct way, many min cashes don’t equal a mice win🤔

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depending on the position, the villains, it's a hand from the top of the range that we can easily all-in

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would say 20 pct of my games I bubble. So, for me I would fold AK and hope someone battles so I can eek in for an easy cash.

If 9 players paid, I would definitely not go in if i am in the top 7 with chips.

If I am like 10th in chips of 10 players remaining nd I only had chips to last maybe 3 hands and no more, I would probably go in with AK and hope for the best.

After the bubble and the remaining players are in the money, I play to win.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends of my chip stack and the tournament. If I'm comfortable, I play aggressively to steal blinds. If I'm short, depends of the buy in of the tournament.

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if i have a reasonable stack in satellites, i fold good hands often near the bubble

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Making the FT is always a priority for me. AK is a overrated drawing hand that cane be beaten by a pair of twos.
Do you want to give up your equity on a coin toss
The goal is to make the top 4 where the bigger payouts are.
Call or raise a short stacked Villain when you are in position. Go all-in if you are at risk of blinding off.
Otherwise fold AK and concentrate on making the FT

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the chip leader raises on bubble, and I have a stack of less than 10 bb, I usually pass, even with AK.

Pawlowski

Pawlowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends a lot on position, chips and value... but in general, I would open it but if someone open, than fold.

reraee1

reraee1

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
depending on what your stack is and what your position is. If you kill everyone and notice that your opponent is playing aggressively and opens 80% of the field, then the stake can even be raised! and if you have a small stack but you go to prizes then pass and sit waiting for money

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Needs context.

How many big blinds do you have, what's your table position has anyone already opened the pot pre flop. If so who, what is his chip stack and activity levels. Who is left to act behind you, anyone that covers you, active or passive players. What is your goal, you want to see some return on investment even if minimal or are you looking for that big win. etc.

As posed, your question can not be really answered without context.

ScoobyNL

ScoobyNL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
With AK i raise and try to win the pot.
I will try not to go all in on the bubble with AK because it is still a hand you have to hit vs pocket pairs !.

AK is most of the times overrated.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My actions in such cases depend on my position at the table, on the size of my stack, and on the size of my opponents' stack. In general, I'm more inclined to take risks with this card than to fold.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
When you have AK on the bubble IMO your 'default' should be to open/ raise/ shove as any other option will hurt your results on the long run * don't forget that with this hand you block Aces and Kings, so you can actually win very often the pot preflop by being aggressive; also if you get action you'll be most of the times favorite to win the hand or flipping- you shouldn't be afraid to take this spots!

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're chipleader, you want to raise and call shoves , if you're 15bb-less you can decide between open shove, (you could get called by the chipleader if he has something decent), usually you will get more value from this. You can fold vs shoves that cover you, calling is ok too, all will depend on the read you have.

nachopaulo

nachopaulo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
If I don't open, I would fold, because if the opener is on the bubble, he will certainly have a good hand to play for the pot, so I think it's better not to risk losing a large amount of chips at this point in the tournament.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Trying to cash, fold. Trying to win Raise.
Try waiting a bit to see if anyone else is busted out first. Don't forget, with AK you are an underdog against a pair.

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
put everything on, because there are days when luck is not on your side and you win a couple of 66s. but that's poker you have to risk your luck from time to time

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a good hand, on the bubble the players are more tiht, and they will pay you mostly with AA and KK and also you block it, so easy allin, but it will also depend on your stack at that moment.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the situation and what you are trying to accomplish but remember AK are just high cards.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you play 88 on a monday morning? The answer is the same way, you play 88 at any other time. And that is also, how you should play AK on the bubble. Maybe you can make some small adjustments and pot control more for instance by only calling preflop instead of 3-betting and maybe have to face a 4-bet jam. But its still poker, and unless its a satellite or DoN, you should not only focus on making it into the money but also on accumulating chips.