AK

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have "AK", should you aggressively bet if you don't hit on the flop?

Does it depend on the situation?

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It always depend on the situation. If it's multiway sometimes better check-fold for example

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, it all depends on the situation, and you need to consider many components, but in most cases, with such a hand I play aggressively.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Low limits maybe check and catching bluff by hitting K or A on turn river

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yes, it depends from each situation. If there is a flop with no interest and also players who are not so aggressive, you can bet. But if there is a wet flop or aggressive players you should be more carefull and leave this hand.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I stopped using A K aggressively. I do not consider positions and theories very useful for me. I play with my intuition. I can either put All in or just level my opponent based on the big blind. I play as I see fit.

J

Jadeyt92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on situation. Ie. How many players are in the pot. All kinds of permutations.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm like the others, situation matters. But one thing is that you have to learn about those different situations, like position, and like Jadey92 said, how many players are in the hand, and their position. This may sound stupid, but poker is like work. You have to be thinking all the time, not standing there with a hammer in your hand and not driving any nails, or be driving nails but hitting your finger 1 out of 2 times. GL

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if you missed the flop with AK, you still need to bet. This will make it possible to assess what the enemy has in his hands. Atleast approximately.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well ... when I carry AK post-flop ... and I'm in late position ... I won't think twice about making my move with a very aggressive bet ... and then I evaluate the situation on the turn ... ..

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the cards on the flop if there are three flush cards on the flop or there is almost a straight without one card, then we should not bet with ak; in other cases, if we opened preflop, then we should continually bet on any cards that came out

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on situation on the board, and even if you hit that K against 2 or 3 people in the pot you need to think, is it a good decision to bet, because someone can have a flush draw , a set and so on.
Against 1 opponent sure you can bet, but you need to have notes on him, because some people can call even with garbage hand.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If it works keep doing it and if or when it stops working look for alternative methods, styles or choices. You could read Optimizing Ace King: The Right Strategy for Playing Poker's Most Complex Starting Hand by SplitSuit if you want to absorb yourself into AK. It's a good read and tends to make you focus on the opportunities and possibilities of AK.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the situation and the opponent(s)...
If You are up against a very tight player a c-bet will win the pot
for you in many cases.
In multiway pots you shouldn't play like this until you have position on your
opponents.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To me it depends on what your pre flop raise was! If you raised big, bet big!

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All in less than 15 BB. More than 20BB min raise

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It is like some said before me it alway Counts on the Situation like Position or how many poeple are in the Hand. AK is a good Hand to start with but for me they are only high Cards. But if i am the first to Play at the table maybe i will do a small bett or go allin it depends on how many poeple are with me in the Hand and how many Chips i got. If i am low on my stack maybe i will go allin preflop but that is not my usual way to play. If i am with strong Players on a table and someone goes allin before i can do it then maybe i fold the Hand if i have enough stack to play. I think there is no save way to say if you play it like this or this way you will win the Hand, because there are always other situations who will make the one or other desiscion wrong or right.

S

saltychocballs7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play AK aggressively, if i dont hit the flop I'm still going to bet.
Maybe slow down a little after the turn, but there is a lot to consider,

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
suited vs off..

If it's AKO, unsuited, I hang in there way less than if I am suited. Table position, maybe I'll hang in after missing the flop, but not often.
If I get AKS, suited, there are a lot of combinations, permutations to play out. I will play if I miss the flop, play semi-aggressive if I get one piece of the straight or flush.

K

kobra80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I miss the flop with AK I always c-bet because maybe I will hit the turn and river A or K

A

ataraxyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it totally depends on situation. But it's still good cards.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the player with AK is the aggressor, then he will make a continuation bet on the flop in most cases. I myself draw a conclusion from the number of players fighting for the pot and the size of their stack. For me, these things are more important, because AK is not a ready hand.