Aggressive play in poker

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be a good aggressive player, you need too much experience, you need to understand the psychology of poker players.
When you start to play aggressively somes players will wait an opportuniny to trick you, some of them will limp big hands like A-A ok K-K or Q-Q, some of them will call your preflop with tricky hands in order to take all your ships after the flop...You need to be carefal and try to adapte your play depending of the hability of the players in your table.
The best way to play agressively is not to raise all the time, but to raise with good hands, raise in the position with medium hands and call with medium hands if you are not in position.
When you are playing agressively, it's a big mistake to reraise with week hands because your opponent will call you or even reraise you with any medium or strong hand.
So, try to understand the psychology of your opponents, to be able to take the correcte decisions.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are playing agressively, it's a big mistake to reraise with week hands because your opponent will call you or even reraise you with any medium or strong hand.
So, try to understand the psychology of your opponents, to be able to take the correcte decisions.

I don't agree with this 100% - if you are not 3 betting light from time to time you are becoming an open book, completely one dimensional and will easily be exploited by good players. I know - I've been that guy :) By today's standard I like to think I nowadays take advantage of players like that. If you are not willing to 4bet out of position with QJs, KQs, K10s, A5s, etc...hands that from a GTO standpoint would NEVER cold 4bet out of position - then you are truly NOT playing as "aggressive" as you could be.

That being said knowing where the fold button is will never be a bad thing. You don't need to go 4 and 5 betting everyone for the sake of being aggressive or simply "trying to find out where you are in the hand".

Anyhow, being aggressive is great for an exploitative strategy - mix your game up, be unpredictable - show up 3 betting in position with the old 9-10s or J10s and playing aggressive post flop - super aggressive when you flop a monster! That's my advice for aggressive play.