Aggression

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one of my biggest flaws, I believe, is aggression. I don’t think I three bet enough. I’ve been getting better at bluffing from in position. I know you should have a range that you three bet from and I’m not getting it right. I’m three betting only with big pairs which players will figure out before long. So what kind of range and from what position do you three bet from??

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Like all things in poker it depends. But as you write it's easier to do things in position.

In general you bet your best hands for value and bluff with the hands that is just worse than calling hands.

If a person starts to fold to much to your 3-bets you bluff more. If they often call you stop or at least bluff less. You can switch from a polarized range to a more linear one.

Google 3-betting strategy or similar keywords (also search YouTube with the same phrases).

Links below is a start:

https://upswingpoker.com/3-bet-strategy-aggressive-preflop/

https://www.cardschat.com/3-betting-strategy.php

https://www.cardschat.com/polarized-3-betting-ranges.php

https://www.pokerlistings.com/strategy/cash-game-nl-holdem/breaking-down-the-threebet

http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy/plays/3bet/

https://pokercopilot.com/poker-statistics/three-betting

https://www.pokerstarsschool.com/article/6-Max-Cash-Poker-Basics-Part-6

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool. Thanks for your reply. I'll look all this over

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
If you are aware of your problem, it means that you are able to solve it. I think the temperament of the player has a direct impact on his style of play. Therefore, it is best to adjust your style of play to suit your temperament.
Good luck.

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
variety

i think in general it is important to vary your playing style! three bet is not only in position - you need to be able to bluff everywhere and with any pocket cards. but also write off your bet if you get called on your bluff - and not stick to your gun even if you hit a pair or some other low value hand.

but again has to fit your personality - if your are ultra tight aggressive player thats fine just bluffing the rigth time can go aclong way to get to the final table.

this is my claim and other may disagree but i dont think you can win a tournament without bluffing - even the ultra tight aggressive bluff but just have to really be careful not to get caugth to much so the value of being "ultra tight" disappear

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I have another problem, by contrast. Usually, I am not aggressive enough and it has a bad effect on my game. Sometimes, during the game, I just fear my opponents and this fear prevents me from making the right decisions.

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great poker players are aggressive. Aggression leads to a lot of big pots.
You can’t be afraid of big pots if you want to be a great poker player.

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that the aggression in poker at the right time is decisive to have good results and get the most out of the hands that one is waiting to play

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The other key in these situations is to know your image. Think about what hands you have shown down recently and how often you have been in pots, raising pots etc. A 3-bet bluff may look a little suspicious if you do it 3 times in a row. Also, if you have shown a bluff or are playing a bit loosely you can expect people to call you lighter with your premium hands as well. Last, you want to think about your position, yes late is usually better but also think about where you are in relation to what you are doing. Are you bluffing to steal blinds from the button? Most people will suspect that so again if you are doing it a lot then people will 3-bet from the blinds.

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think in general it is important to vary your playing style! three bet is not only in position - you need to be able to bluff everywhere and with any pocket cards. but also write off your bet if you get called on your bluff - and not stick to your gun even if you hit a pair or some other low value hand.

but again has to fit your personality - if your are ultra tight aggressive player thats fine just bluffing the rigth time can go aclong way to get to the final table.

this is my claim and other may disagree but i dont think you can win a tournament without bluffing - even the ultra tight aggressive bluff but just have to really be careful not to get caugth to much so the value of being "ultra tight" disappear

I agree with this whole heartedly. When I started I was so bad at bluffing live that I rarely did. I made it deep a few times but never a final table until I learned to bluff some and push back on bullies trying to steal my blinds. Now I’ve actually won a few live and online tournaments. Just looking to win more often. :burnout:

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
I have another problem, by contrast. Usually, I am not aggressive enough and it has a bad effect on my game. Sometimes, during the game, I just fear my opponents and this fear prevents me from making the right decisions.

That is exactly where I used to be. Read my reply above to another post. Hang in there it’s a learning experience for everyone. :)

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.

What kind of games are you playing regularly?? Cash? MTT's? SNG's? Proper game selection and bank roll management could probably solve this. There is no reason to be scared playing this game, you just need to find games that suit you, not all types of games are for everyone, some are easier for others some are harder which can make them scary.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What kind of games are you playing regularly?? Cash? MTT's? SNG's? Proper game selection and bank roll management could probably solve this. There is no reason to be scared playing this game, you just need to find games that suit you, not all types of games are for everyone, some are easier for others some are harder which can make them scary.

Mostly, I prefer MTT tournaments. And I am most scared when I play knockout tournaments.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like the aggressive style of the game. I believe that aggression in poker can lead to serious losses if your opponents are more experienced players. So instead of being aggressive, I prefer to be patient.

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like the aggressive style of the game. I believe that aggression in poker can lead to serious losses if your opponents are more experienced players. So instead of being aggressive, I prefer to be patient.

Everyone has a different level of aggression. I’m basing my need to up my aggression (at the right time) on some of the things I’ve read about GTO play and exploitative play and finding the correct balance between the two. From watching YouTube and Twitch Poker that seems to be the way more successful players than myself are doing it. I’m not trying to say your way is wrong for you. It is just something I feel my game needs to improve from where it is. :)

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

That being said, how do you expect to have big wins playing passive patient poker. Aggression can work both ways, big loses, or huge wins. Do u ever think that a patient poker play ever wins a big tourney?? Maybe, but probably not. The win is going to go to the aggressive player that understands how important it is to fight for those blinds in later stages of the tourney. Patient players rely on luck and are just playing cards, aggressive players win more often and in spots that patient players would never see possible due to there aggressive ways. Aggression in poker is a winning formula, sure patient players can win but it happens a lot less than aggressive poker players. Aggressive players take initiative in hands where patient players don't, it must suck to always have to be holding a strong hand to win in this game.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play aggressively when I have good senior couples or when I have a great match with great combinations, and in most cases I play tight to catch another player and draw as many chips from him as possible in the tournament or more money in the cash game!

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You’ll want to build a range by deciding what hands you’re 3betting for value then take the same number of combinations of bluff hands. Now the hands you’re going to 3bet with will be wider depending on your position. So you’ll start with each position and what you’d 3bet with in each one. Now let’s say from UTG you’re 3betting AK & JJ+ that’s 40 combinations you should put hands like A5s, A4s, K4s, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 65s, AQ. These are either hands that flop well and/or have good blockers. You can choose others just make sure you understand how to navigate then post flop and the equity each hand possesses.

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You’ll want to build a range by deciding what hands you’re 3betting for value then take the same number of combinations of bluff hands. Now the hands you’re going to 3bet with will be wider depending on your position. So you’ll start with each position and what you’d 3bet with in each one. Now let’s say from UTG you’re 3betting AK & JJ+ that’s 40 combinations you should put hands like A5s, A4s, K4s, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 65s, AQ. These are either hands that flop well and/or have good blockers. You can choose others just make sure you understand how to navigate then post flop and the equity each hand possesses.

Thanks. That sounds like solid advice.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone has a different level of aggression. I’m basing my need to up my aggression (at the right time) on some of the things I’ve read about GTO play and exploitative play and finding the correct balance between the two. From watching YouTube and Twitch Poker that seems to be the way more successful players than myself are doing it. I’m not trying to say your way is wrong for you. It is just something I feel my game needs to improve from where it is. :)

I agree with you. I believe that there is no right or wrong game. There are only results of our decisions.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That being said, how do you expect to have big wins playing passive patient poker. Aggression can work both ways, big loses, or huge wins. Do u ever think that a patient poker play ever wins a big tourney?? Maybe, but probably not. The win is going to go to the aggressive player that understands how important it is to fight for those blinds in later stages of the tourney. Patient players rely on luck and are just playing cards, aggressive players win more often and in spots that patient players would never see possible due to there aggressive ways. Aggression in poker is a winning formula, sure patient players can win but it happens a lot less than aggressive poker players. Aggressive players take initiative in hands where patient players don't, it must suck to always have to be holding a strong hand to win in this game.

I am convinced that patience is the key to success in poker. Patient players become truly successful professionals who rely on their own skills and experience rather than luck. But in any case, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this.

R

rmcmullen2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read and experienced that players who have good hands often shake or get nervous. So when I am bluffing and really need the other player to fold I will fake shaky hands and maybe knock a stack of chips over, a small stack anyway. It has worked and not worked but sometimes you got so many chips in the pot with a crappy hand and you do what you have to to make your opponent think you got the nuts.

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find all strategy advice is tempered by the players at the table. What is a good play at one is disaster at another. You have to be able to adjust your play based on the conditions.