Action of which street is more important

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm about to see a showdown, which street I should take into account first before making my move?

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every street matters. Preflop you can learn good starting hands and play good tight ranges. Postflop skills are harder to learn. Big mistakes on the river when the pot is big will cost you a lot of money.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm. Interesting question. Maybe Preflop/Flop is most important. I say Preflop because making a mistake here (like playing a questionable hand) will compound into bigger mistakes on each street after. Even if you hit your hand, you might lose to a similar hand that is higher (like Flush losing to the nut Flush) simply because you entered with a questionable hand preflop.

Now with this said, most players have less experience with the later streets. Therefore, the River probably is where most mistakes occur if it reaches that far. The lack of River experience is partly because of post-flop being tougher to get good at, but also because it comes up less often.

Let us make up a scenario (figures may not be representative of actual street frequency).

Of the 100% of the hands you play:

80% are folded preflop (20% VPIP), 5% folded on the Flop, 5% folded on the Turn, 5% folded on the River and 5% gets to showdown.

These numbers are probably not accurate (for instance most players get to showdown more than 5% and don't fold on each street the same frequency) but I picked the consistent 5% just to make this example easy to work with.

Notice how the further into the hand we get, then the less often it comes up? In this example, 85% of hands aren't getting past the flop (exploitable for sure, but again, the numbers were just to make the example point easy to see) and only 10% reach the River. This means that of all your hands, you only have "River experience" 10% of the time versus your 100% experience preflop (because you decided to continue or fold 100% of the time preflop).

The point to show is that the further in the street is then the less experience players will typically have. The good news is that this is true for everyone unless they study those later street spots away from the table.

In summary, preflop is probably most important, but most players have this down fairly well. The River will be the one street with the least amount of experience and therefore most important in many cases because this is where mistakes are made or where mistakes can be capitalized on.

Oh, and also, the "money streets" are the Turn and River because the pots are much bigger by this point in the hand too :D

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would say that a lot depends on the villain tendencies. It will help if you use a HUD, that helps you to work out what he is most likely to do in different circumstances

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
On the flop you get 3/5 of the possible information !!! I think that preflop and flop largely determine your further actions !!! The outcome depends on the correct choice of hand for the game, the correct size of the bet and the flop !!!

Last edited:
killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In conclusion:
Preflop - "street" of choice
Flop - streets of facts
Turn - street of guessing
River - street of faith

:tomato: My apologies, the correct term should be the betting round, I'm yet to get rid of this habit.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I'm about to see a showdown, which street I should take into account first before making my move?

As the other posters have said, all streets are important, each is like a piece of the puzzle that you are putting together.

But if I had to pick one street and one street only to put the most weight into it would be the Flop.

The flop has much more information than the other streets given that we see 3 community cards instead of just one. And the way those cards work together (or the 'texture' of the flop) will greatly affect the way your opponent plays their range.

On dry boards we can expect them to bet majority of their range, on wet boards not so much. So we can really gain a lot of information from someone's actions on the flop when we combine them with the board texture, and in the case of tournaments the stack to pot ratio.

This happens to be the most popular video I've made on my youtube, so maybe you'll enjoy the lessons on key things to think about when playing the flop (and how they can help you out with making the right decision on later streets as well)

Cheers! :icon_sant

Yakk

Yakk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Streets?

Which street is more important?, All of you!
It happens that it is not to see which street is less important or more, but to carry a sequence of the actions that are happening in each street, in each situation, since each new challenge that is presented to you depends on them, and you should take one action, which should be higher than the action taken by your opponents.
Getting to the showdown is because you have analyzed that you are ahead of your opponents, you have a hand strong enough to win by value and not because at some point you decide to bet hard on a street of your choice without any reason.
It is important that you know that in the game you can only win by holding the best hand (Showdown) or stealing the pot (Fold equity).
In each hand there are four determining points; Preflop, Flop, Turn and River and these streets are grouped into two phases, the Preflop phase and Postflop, playing these phases and their respective streets in a way superior to the others will depend on your skill and intuition that you have been developing in the A long way to learn this game because again the decisions you make will depend on another set of variables that depend on which mode we are playing (Cash or MTT, or Sit & Go).
Each modality in which you participate has its own particularity in being played, the Variance acts in different ways, it is not the same to play cash than MTT or Sit, your strategy is forced to adjust.
You see how one thing leads to another, poker is full of countless variables to take into account in each hand, from start to finish.
Due to the above and hoping not to confuse you, I try to make you understand that poker is played as a whole even when it gives the impression or idea of ​​being a game with no apparent connection between its parts.
As a suggestion, read Sklansky as he was one of the first to theorize about the game and then read the strategy of current players, little by little, build your own vision of the game.

Cheers.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has to be the river, you could be making all these assumptions about a hand but what will you do on the RIVER? Will you check your monster? Will you fold? Will you call?
To answer this thoroughly, Flop gives you most info, Turn is the most profitable spot for a shove, & the river most decisive!

E

Elfina777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here it is impossible to say which is better, it all depends on the situation, courage, intuition of the player, no matter how I think, but the river can smash everything to smithereens.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this i think is the answer you need....

The Experts Advice works for mid to high level games. Cant argue there! But when you playing freerolls and lower levels its good to get to know the push shove charts that way you got a good idea of what types of hands are good with respect to your stack. 15 bb is danger zone for the micro, freeroll circuit, 10 bb is any ace or suited face plus ten high with a 6-9, suited connectors and all pairs. Pros and experts will give you a wider range and AGAIN AGAINST BETTER PLAYERS WHO KNOW THE STRATEGY that will work, its proven. But unlike the boski and Godsbigtoe, lotta pros dont play micro or lows seriously. Any who the answer to the question. When playing freerolls or micros the best street to bet is the TURN. Why?? im glad i think you asked lol. You know by know playing freerolls is annoying due to the high variance, which is due to the fact mostly nocvice play those and the micro regs adapted or quit. THEY LOVE TO GAMBLE. How many time you get it in with good hands like AA OR AK SUITED ONLY to lose to a q 7 off or a 45 sutied for 20 bb +. Ok so i think TURN is best to bet when you have hand, try it and you will see you wont lose to random flush draws or guts shots and even open enders will fold. Never slow play top pair or Pocket pairs. What the micros at 1.50$and above look for in your bets. Vpip is how often you put money in the pot. you should be playing aboue 20-35% of your hand things like AK to 9 Ten. Find a preflop bet thats your go to, I USE 3 BB TILL I HAVE TO ICM. ICM is if late reg ends and you are 15th in chips and ITM (in the money) is 18 then you tighten up and only exploiting when you learn how to. this is the only high level concept that works in micro. Once late reg is over i switch to 2.5 only cause its kinda standard, youll see good players do 2.2 thats a tell. Oh i constantly switch back in forth from $ amount to BB, its very important to know how many BB you have left. Now FLOP play Is usually always a Continuation bet even if you think youve been outflopped. Against micro and freeroll players youll see a lotta folds. Dont c bet if you raise and four ppl call; flop pops something you dont connect with at all. And not much in freerolls but in money buy ins from .10 cents to 6.00$ games is most of the time youll have to c bet and then follow threw with the TURN BET. Mostly cause Players know that play enough that post flop they can out play you if you c bet then check the turn. Most of the timet they calling with second pair or draws. TUrn will determine whether your ahead or not. River you should always value bet and check it when you missed and are sure he wouldnt call anyway. if you got a monster and you bet youll never know what he was thinking while playing that hand. OK Vpip how often you add money in the pot pre. Cbets how often you do it and win. then Turn bets which is key and if you bet here you should have the lead and feel confident your opponent is drawing or just had second pair or fishing. River bet you Value bet 25%-75% depending on how strong you think your opponent is. i like 35-50% only cause it works for me. When making your Betting size strategy pay attention to the players, cause that usually dictates how you gonna play. Sometimes you let your opponent do the work sometimes you bet like your bluffing and check raise like your not. You learn as you go. I know a lotta this is shortened cause i cant write a book lol. If you have any questions or comments just quote me i enjoy all reply good and bad. sharkscope me im not the best but i played a lotta micro and freerolls last year due to pandemic. MRTURTLE (WPN) AND EAGLEACES12345 my eagle i let go cause i got drunk and dont remember playing but i played the jackpots for 50 on Blackchip and lost what i had there lol. Hope i dont get in trouble i dont think im supposed to mention specifically any poker room.

Last edited:
D

DaHawk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All streets are important but I would say preflop, and the turn are most pivotal. Meanwhile the river is where most mistakes happen.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Each street is important, the play depends on the hand.
Obviously, with the strongest hand, one wants to win as many chips as possible, but it also depends on the opponent which tactic is the winner.
If you call with an easy hand, you can fire from the flop, but if your opponent is more cautious and wants to think he has the stronger hand, you should play carefully.
I think it's worth taking a more serious raise on the turn, because if the pot is small, it's much easier for people to fold on the river.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all streets are definitely important and it is right to play on them, very many do not bluff on the river, although it is often necessary there too

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
pre flop is the most important one.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre-flop - we play this every hand and when we make mistakes here, we have to live with them for the entire hand. Very important.
Flop - this is very important as well. We can save a lot of chips if we can get out before we put them into the pot. We know a lot about our hand now and should be able to make better decisions.
River - this is where the big swings in our stack happen, so this is very very important to play well.
Turn - I wasn't really ignoring the turn, but it is just a waypoint on the way.

Good luck and God bless

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im an aggressive player so I will get crazy and bully players so they know who's boss, its helps when you raise and every1 folds because their scared. I think raising helps push out the little guys and sometimes if you know they will probably fold, you gotta slow play but gotta be careful. Good luck. :D

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Sixth Street.
That is when you assess the hand and learn from what went down.

det0nate

det0nate

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4th street would be the most important
i would think ;/

W

WJMKAM

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not just trying to win the hand, but if you are in a tournament, how you play one hand could affect how your opponents play the next. If there are a lot of people left in the tournament, you will play it different than if you are done to the final 3 or 4. Position in the tournament and position in the table both are important.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre-flop - we play this every hand and when we make mistakes here, we have to live with them for the entire hand. Very important.
Flop - this is very important as well. We can save a lot of chips if we can get out before we put them into the pot. We know a lot about our hand now and should be able to make better decisions.
River - this is where the big swings in our stack happen, so this is very very important to play well.
Turn - I wasn't really ignoring the turn, but it is just a waypoint on the way.

Good luck and God bless

I really liked the beginning of your answer but your ending would've got a huge Boo if I was in the crowd lol TURN is $ town if played correctly, Pre-flop sizing really goes a long way as most MTT players overvalue the flawed theory of being pot-committed coupled with the very real possibility that you're chasing & denying equity as that's what a turn shove in a relatively inactive pot could imply. So imo, It's close b/n the turn & Pf, I think it's okay to speculate but not put such an emphasis on any street as that would make your game 2-dimensional imo

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
To bluntly answer the question the street you are currently on is the most important and every subsequent street you make it to is more important than the last.

The information gathered is not individual to street but cumulative i.e. you take into account information on current street together with all prior information on all prior streets to make a decision on current street.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important street in the game is preflop. Since the win or loss depends on which ranges you open.

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
An important sequence of actions on all streets. If we act unprofessional pre-flop or post-flop on the turn or river, we risk losing a lot of chips or missing our opponents' chips.