CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear, CC!

I would like to find out about your opinions on acting quickly pre-flop and post flop when playing poker online.
What kind of tells do you get by it and how quickly do you act yourselves?
If you have a story - put it out here! I'm interested doing a bit of reading on this matter!

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Players that act slow might be multi tabeling, so i would put too much tells in to that.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Speed tells I find are only worth pursuing if you see the same player repeating the same performance.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While this isn't exactly what you're asking I watched a pretty interesting stream that touched on a similar topic.

When you take time to make decisions, you benefit by allowing yourself more time to process all the available information. However a second added benefit most people don't think about is that the longer you take when your opponent will the have to make a stressful decision after, the more stress you are adding to his decision making process and thus increasing the likelihood of him making make a big mistake later in the hand.

As I said, not quite on topic, but something to think about in your own game.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yeah I'm not sure how reliable they are to be honest. But a long tank then a shove is more than likely the goods I reckon.

N

NotADonk

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear, CC!

I would like to find out about your opinions on acting quickly pre-flop and post flop.
If you have a story - put it out here! I'm interested doing a bit of reading on this matter!
I don't put much faith in how long someone takes to act. They could well be trying to be deliberately misleading.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
There are many components to consider, such as tournament format and structure, table position, tournament stage, stack size. There is no single right answer.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
mostly difficult decisions happen on the river, so you need to look at the situation here, often a quick push is just a sign of a bluff, but when the opponent takes a break before betting, it will often be just a strong hand

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in general, timings are quite an interesting topic

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Acting quickly may represent one thing and the opposite.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A Quick Check can often be a sign of not hitting the hand or not being interested in playing the hand. However it can also be used as a trap to make you think they didn't hit the hand. You need to really know and pay attention to how a player has been playing or what are their tendencies. Example I know a couple of players that will put on the auto check fold. for those players if I see that and I'm behind them that may change my check into a bet.

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a psychological trick. I usually play fast. But sometimes I use a time bank, for example on the river for bluffing. It is also possible to mislead in other cases by manipulating the speed of decision-making.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if the opponent makes a quick decision, then he has nothing or he wants to make money from you

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear, CC!

I would like to find out about your opinions on acting quickly pre-flop and post flop.
If a player always runs the whole time bank down on every hand - then it is impossible to get a read on a tell related to their speed of acting.

The difficulty becomes if a player bets quickly with a big hand and very slowly with weak hands.

Good luck !

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's very complicated to put ur decision under speed teels. It's only worth if u have good reasons to believe someone is giving these tells.
About acting quickly, I think that recreative tend to make insta calls when they are strong, and they think a lot when they are weak. But thats not generall, is just a trend to think about in tought decisions.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
There's no story - i'm so used to making split second decisions in my daily life nowadays so yeah ...

Sometimes this can be recipe for disaster though but who cares :cool: ...

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After the fast-acting flop, either it (according to him) has a strong hand regardless of the flop, or it wants to show himself strong and that's why it acts fast, I think.

francisco mendoza

francisco mendoza

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play a little slow, I take my time to analyze the variants and the possibilities that my opponent has, I think a lot before acting, but if I can say that sometimes I play fast, only sometimes. When I know I'm not going to lose.

A2020

A2020

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It for sure depends on the Tournament format. There may be cases where you could get some "read" out of it.
One thing I would do for sure, if I notice someone at the table gets "frustrated" because some players are taking long to act, then I would start taking longer on my decisions.
Some players lets that get them and start playing poorly.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing fast or playing slow doesn't change anything.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
We have a great free course that will help you find answers to your questions. Try it, I recommend it.
Good luck.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop you have often had plenty of time to think, before the action gets to you, so if your action is to raise first in, there is no need to waste time, when its your turn to act. If your action is to fold, then just click the box ahead to speed up action further. Postflop is a little different though, and I think, its important to somewhat standardize your decision time to avoid timing tells. If for instance you snap raise, when you have the nuts, but take a lot of time, before you raise as a bluff, then other players could pick up on it and exploit you. But if your action end the hand, either because you fold, or you call all-in last to act, then just do it as fast as possible.

japangod87

japangod87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
the main thing is not to equalize everyone with the same brush. Each person uses his time bank differently. Watch, take notes. if you have not played against this opponent before, then I think you should not count on such moments, this can greatly harm you yourself.