Ace Burn-Out

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How many and what situations have we all had when holding the almighty Ace.
I have had A2-Ak and been burned many time even worst when im dealt AA
Do we Play aggressive on the flop ,Shove?? or wait to see if we should have played differently after we lose
If the turn card doesnt get you the river usually does
Does anyone have confidence with the AA ???

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yeah I have confidence when I am running good. But if a donkey is destined to win, it will win regardless of what Ax you are holding.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
oh yes indeed ...if the turn doesn't get you the river will....4 stacks in the last hour and I really did get my money in good each time...just not my day lol

S

Streetwylde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Donks always over player most cards and Ace anything is one.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Starting as early as AJ, you're almost better off hitting your kicker than the Ace.

Suited makes such a difference with AX because you have another way to make the nuts. Beginners tend conflate the relative strength of something like A9s with a somewhat week holding like A9o. There's just no comparison.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What good is a 10 dllar bill if your opponent has 100 dollar bills. Same thing with your ace rag, ace face, aa. It is useless when it runs up against a flush or full house. You get used to it and bet accordingly. One way to get used to it is to not risk losing much, keep it cheap until u see on the river that u have the nuts. And dont do an all in just because u have top pair.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So over 30000 hands online I am 1582 bb/100 so I am pretty confident with AA.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many and what situations have we all had when holding the almighty Ace.
I have had A2-Ak and been burned many time even worst when im dealt AA
Do we Play aggressive on the flop ,Shove?? or wait to see if we should have played differently after we lose
If the turn card doesnt get you the river usually does
Does anyone have confidence with the AA ???

Play aggressively with AA preflop and flop you will win majority of the time, even if the pot is small, take it down.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even against kings you're a 82% favorite. stay glass half full

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aces are the best hand you could have once In the money but if we are not itm and we are playing on Jokestars play carefully especially if out of position and that Button or Sb and Big blinds call your bet. Put all senarios in your mind villain will hit his low set or flush draw.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because of narrow ranges and being popular hands I look at AQo below with suspicion. I never play AJ or AT at a tight table and I play Ax suited for flushes and maybe turned two pairs. AA is a hand that is always optimally played pre-flop all in all day everyday. If you play it post flop in 3 bet pot only calls you will get are big/insidious implied odds draws or get raised by 2 pair or better....3 bet pot they know you have big pair. While pre flop Aces as tremendous callability is way ahead of everything. 2.5x early position to get squeezed or 3 bet so you can hollywood tank and 4 bet jam. Reraise 3.5x so they caan't so call OOP or raise 2.5x so you get 4 bet while you are OOP. Callability disappears post flop unless you are beat because hand gets isolated to a pair of aces. In omaha aces play exactly like pocket 44.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More often than not, you will win with the correct play. It gets discouraging of course, especially when donks burn through your two to three deposits. Lol. But in the end, if you keep your cool, your profits should be climbing. Aces in places!

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tonights $11 Saturday mini KO delighted all in preflop I call thinking yes 2 bountys big stack deep run time and then pain.:icon_puke
June week 2

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Silly Hugh, thinking your aces would hold up. How'd the remaining 9k go?

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know how this Rng on pokerstars is working even when it Plays to my favour to flop my low set against monsters and big pairs I feel disgusted to loose and bust from many tourneys with kings and aces or to loose to a K2 off with a flush on the river with that small deuce. Don't tell me about long terms winning because I have been playing for a long Time now and same stories and senarios are crippling me.

T

teutonic1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the post Chicopaw. It's always good to go over the old classics every once in a while, and playing Aces fits the bill. We all have such great expectations of the the almighty Ace. Definitely applies to me.

I did a few quick runs on pokerstove with AA versus two villains who both have 5% ranges & the results were:

AA 70%
5% 15%
5% 15%

And for the craic, I ran AA against all Ax (~14.5% of all hands):

AA 92%
Ax 8%

Seems AA is indeed almighty. But we know from bitter experience that our lovely AAs get cracked all the time. It's especially harsh when we bubble with them or lose a big pot. We remember those loses especially. They sort of imprint themselves upon our poker brains.

I suppose playing AA and definitely Ax is, like so much of poker, dependent on the situation. If I'm playing with too loose LAGs and maniacs, I'm looking to get my money in pre-flop. Forget about the 2.2x rise. I either rise it up big pre or just shove. I'm going to get a least one caller - but probably more. On tighter tables, I want to see a flop against one opponent and play from there. Once in a blue moon I slow play AA on nitty tables, or to confuse my opponents in other situations.

As for Ax, I really only play them in multiway pots with very LAG players and can easily throw them away when the flop is dead, or play for showdown value. If I'm in early position, I just muck the headaches.

Of course for short tables and heads-up Ax increase in value.

I suppose once I learn not to lose money with AA (i.e. lay them down when the betting is against me - especially in family pots), I'll be making a bigger profit with them. It's a skill I definitely don't have right now.

A

AngelBLR_Poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once lost with AA versus 2 7 offsuit, he had a full house

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ax is a wide range and cannot be given a specific strategy that would encompass every situation. There is a reason they say that poker is a people game played with cards. You have to know your opponents and play them accordingly.

Also, take into account why someone might be making a call. For example, last night I was in a game that was close to the bubble. I got dealt pocket aces and since I went all in with just under 3 big blinds. A guy called me with J 2 off and ended up catching 2 pair to beat me. Sure it sucked, but he had a huge chip lead and it cost him nearly nothing to call me. He was last to act and took a shot at knocking me out. He did.

If you get some idiot that is playing any two cards for any particular reason, be happy. Sure they may get lucky, but overall those are the people you build your stack and bankroll from.

godblessiraq

godblessiraq

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA is only a pair, with little room for improvement.