About poker

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now this might be very strange or weird but anyone else out there with this.
I like to read about poker like books and like alot of them any free time I have I'm reading about poker so I can get good at it and watch poker alot but I dnt enjoy playing poker.
Anyone else in same shoes?

M

moosepaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but are you planning on playing it when you think you're going to be good enough?

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but are you planning on playing it when you think you're going to be good enough?
Yes I do play like small online cash and odd mtt, I do crush local games but I just dnt like playing as much as I like reading and wanting to get good at it. Like most people say play in a week game so u can win or have a edge but I like to find hard game or tuff opponents so I can beat them or learn from costly mistake. Not sure if I have a issue to fix or it's normal. I belive in beating the best so you become best.

M

moosepaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i think you have a good way of going about it. im slowly building up a bankroll from freerolls and im about to lose my mind because it's basically just slots. lots of new players either call everything or put out blatantly disproportionate raises that ruin all the hands.

can't wait to start playing actual poker, and hopefully you're able to stabilize your bankroll in some higher level games soon enough!

35marlin

35marlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study

Studying is the key to a winning Career, find a study group, join a coaching site. I would reccomend Poker Coaching with Johnathan Little. His stuff is some of the best out there.

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Studying is the key to a winning Career, find a study group, join a coaching site. I would reccomend Poker Coaching with Johnathan Little. His stuff is some of the best out there.
To expansive to have a coach I think like I was checking raise your edge and it's like 1100+ usd. Now what I like to think or do think where do these people learn like the pros who teach them all that at first place? And most stuff I read so far only come down to couple things.
Outs and pot odds. (EV)
Tighter the range better the chances or in multi way pot u can play anything decent.
Also position.
And last one will be having your day like if its not ur day your AA will get cracked regardless how best your.
Tilt control and lossing less buy capping ur money on days you run bad and play maximum when it's your day. Yesterday first time ever I finish 9handed final table in 10 hands like. All goes on luck when u delt premo and 3 way allin and you flop set and rainbow boards. Dnt know what else to learn. Oh and bigger the money you play with bigger you win or loss.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to think about if you even want to play poker. Huge population only likes watching sport. Not actually wanting to play it. So if you dont have that drive and love for the game in the matter of playing it maybe you just like spectator side of it. Think about it

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds dangerous to me. If youre always looking for the toughest opponent you probably end up losing a lot of money.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting—any idea what’s holding you back from being able to enjoy playing? Could it have to do with being afraid of losing? If so, then why not start out with freerolls and/or very low stakes games?

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to read about poker like books and like alot of them any free time I have I'm reading about poker so I can get good at it and watch poker alot but I dnt enjoy playing poker.
An interesting and unusual oddity! Is that just the way you do it with poker, or are there other things like that?:eek:

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting—any idea what’s holding you back from being able to enjoy playing? Could it have to do with being afraid of losing? If so, then why not start out with freerolls and/or very low stakes games?
Thanks, money not so much a issue I think I just dnt like the feels lol I love poker like I live poker mistly as most my day time goes reading about it and want to improve in this game to beat the best player out. I just dnt like the emotions from this game like days when u go card dead and u happen to be in a big tour or days when u have goods but people just get lucky. I mean its all part of this game but I just dnt like it. And I have 1000+ leaks 😣

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An interesting and unusual oddity! Is that just the way you do it with poker, or are there other things like that?:eek:
Just poker lol life's lit otherwise. 😂

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

No. If you don't enjoy playing, then you are waisting your time studying the game. The most profitable games are one where everyone is having fun, yourself included .if you aren't having fun, then it's work. Really risky work.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think everyone lights up like that at the beginning, the main thing is that your enthusiasm be enough until the first major achievement in poker. In order not to burn out, there are many articles and discussions. Often a game distracts us greatly from real life, do not forget other aspects of life, such as family, friends and other entertainments. I also love poker, but the main thing is not to stay only with poker, you know what I mean?

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems strange to me to devote time to learning a game that you don’t want to play. Maybe poker is just a sport for you that you want to know about, so you read books and watch tournaments. Many people like to watch and read about football, basketball, boxing and other sports games, but they don’t like to play or take part in them. So maybe poker is just a sport for you, like soccer, for example, many people like to watch it on TV, but not many people want to play it themselves.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I've been in this situation at times in my career and I know what the issues were for me

1) Fear of losing
2) gambling being frowned upon
3) Fear of not living up to my own expectations

The first had to do with both money, and the pain of losing. To address these I had to be willing to play smaller limits and also accept that losing some hands and some sessions is just part of the game.

The second wasn't a huge one for me, but i know many face it. It's not easy to engage in behaviors other people consider to be 'deviant'. And while studying is very highly respected in most circles, playing poker on the other hand is not, so that can be a block.

The last was actually a result of doing too much studying and not enough playing. After taking so many courses I thought I would immediately be a superstar, I didn't remember that to understand the concepts we must apply them and that at first we might not do it right. It's easy to read read read and feel like a genius, but when we apply it there's the chance we will lose that feeling because it doesn't work out perfectly.

Which brings me to #4 - FEAR OF MAKING A MISTAKE

Making mistakes is part of the learning process, and they are an essential step towards becoming a great player. Also, knowledge in mind never put into practice can actually be quite detrimental to your well being, it's stressful to hold thoughts in there and it feels wasteful to take up valueable mental space with thoughts that could be replaced with something else more applicable to daily life.

Anyway, I think a lot of the suggestions of playing small stakes so that the concepts can start to stick and make sense is a great idea. And, IF you enjoy playing, then training sites are a very nice and cheap way to learn and to also watch people play (which is one step closer to actually playing, whereas books are very far removed from playing). The cost of a training site is 1/5-1/10th the cost of private coaching and always worth it.

BUT, if you find when you actually play you don't enjoy it, then you can save a lot of time and energy by shifting your reading towards a topic that you actually want to practice.

Hope that helps!!! :icon_sant