[AA] vs [ITM]

SRNegras

SRNegras

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good afternoon, everyone! I would like to know from you what you would do in the following situation: You are at BB, being the last to answer, and you receive an AA with 5k of chips. The table rotates and the button goes All-in with 10k chips. Knowing that only one player needs to be eliminated to be ITM, would you call and risk leaving without winning anything or will you fold to guarantee a prize? Hugs!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon, everyone! I would like to know from you what you would do in the following situation: You are at BB, being the last to answer, and you receive an AA with 5k of chips. The table rotates and the button goes All-in with 10k chips. Knowing that only one player needs to be eliminated to be ITM, would you call and risk leaving without winning anything or will you fold to guarantee a prize? Hugs!

Thank U 4 Posting.

It depends on your goals for the tournament. We should always be playing to win the tournament but if we need the min cash than we can fold and give up on the true purpose of our playing in the first place.

Going out on the bubble in that spot with AA in a normal tournament that I am bankrolled for is what I would do 100% of the time.

The hands you have a real decision on are JJ-99 AK AQ. The reason is these are 50-50 hands most often in this spot so we have to decide do we fold these hands, get the cash then flip. We would need to range our villain to fold the top of this range. If the V is shoving a wide range then we can call as we could have the V dominated.

If the V would always just raise not shove with AA-QQ we would want to know this.
It helps to to know what the size of the big blind is so we can range V based on that as well.
So if the BB is 1K than BTN is shoving 10BB so they could have their full range.

If we have AK and the V shoves AQ-A2 KQ-10 KQs-K2s we are crushing equity wise.

A great exercise is to input AK Vs KQs into the cardschat odds calculator and it tells you have 69% equity on a call where you need only get 50% equity to call.
Try inputing other hands to get a good idea of what your folding range in this spot should be.

Hope this helps
:):)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's almost always best to call in this type of situation unless you're playing a satellite and can otherwise fold into the money.

While the exact calling range depends on stacks and payout structure, you would usually want to call with at least TT or better (and often quite a bit wider).

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a pair of aces win any hand with a frequency of 80%, I will call in this situation 80% of the time. But if I made it to this tournament through a satellite, and the prize spot gives me half of my bankroll, I'll throw away my aces without a second thought.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Without a doubt, pocket aces deserve my risk. In this situation, I am ready to go all-in.

cris1964

cris1964

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

if you don't play, you won't know, but I would come in

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA vs ITM

Hello. That is something I have often battled with. From experience, algorithm or not, the person with most chips at that specific point has won. Very aggravating, but true for me. Others most likely will disagree and say go for it. After playing for many years, I decided if it is that if I am close or on the bubble, I MOST LIKELY, BUT NOT EVERYTIME, will fold. One last thing; If you are down to two tables, say. It may help to watch the action on the other table/s. For example, the tournament has 17 left. 16 get paid. I have the other table open and see that a player just losta push, that frees me to challenge the other player. Hope this helps.

Dan'O

I

Index12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’d call here myself. If I’m out, then I’m out, but it’s going to be a full double up often enough to where it’s a profitable call, especially if you’re trying to run deep.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Seen it way too many times. I can turn minimum cash ITM into real money. I can't turn nothing into something. Fold the AA. Can almost guarantee you that if the button has more money than you, you are going down. And the button will beat you using just one of his cards.

If I stayed in to double up, I would still be lowest chip stack if my hand won. It's just the way online poker is.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well only if the first payout is an amount that could actually make a difference in my life or it's a sattelite I think I'd fold. Other than that it doens't make sense to do it. You literally dominate every hand your opponent is shoving and you will probably burst the bouble with your stack doubled, incresing your chances of making even more money. If it happens that you loose just take a deep breath and maybe stop playing for the day haha.

NickeLine22

NickeLine22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to take 1st place then of course all-in. But if this is your first ITM then you can fold.