A10 or KJ

T

teracota17

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, i am just a beginner and i heard that these hands are not that good how they appear and you should be aggresive... Is that right? By the way, what's your favorite hand? Mine is AQ of diamond.:D

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each hand is good in its own way, depending on the situation at the table! Sometimes 72 suited will be a premium hand !!!

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, and welcome to Cardschat. I'm sure some people will be able to give you some more direction on how to best tackle this game as a beginner, but to at least begin to answer your question in simple terms, a big problem with those hands, is that you are often up against a hand that has you dominated. Meaning, with your A10 hand, you may be feeling pretty good with an Ace on the board with your second card (your kicker) being a decently high card as a 10, but it is vulnerable to similarly higher unpaired hands AK, AQ, and AJ. In the same way, with KJ, if you have paired your K, you are vulnerable to AK, QK. And if you have paired your J with your KJ, you are vulnerable to AJ. Also, along that line, you need to be careful with your favorite hand of AQ, as you will be vulnerable to AK. Again, I'm sure some people will be able to give you better answers and direction, but that's a start. Also, as far as being aggressive, that sort of applies to your entire game of poker. The overwhelming consensus for playing poker is you are better off playing aggressive versus passive. Good luck on your poker journey!

Last edited:
Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, and welcome to Cardschat. I'm sure some people will be able to give you some more direction on how to best tackle this game as a beginner, but to at least begin to answer your question in simple terms, a big problem with those hands, is that you are often up against a hand that has you dominated. Meaning, with your A10 hand, you may be feeling pretty good with an Ace on the board with your second card (your kicker) being a decently high card as a 10, but it is vulnerable to similarly higher unpaired hands AK, AQ, and AJ. In the same way, with KJ, if you have paired your K, you are vulnerable to AK, QK. And if you have paired your J with your KJ, you are vulnerable to AJ. Also, along that line, you need to be careful with your favorite hand of AQ, as you will be vulnerable to AK. Again, I'm sure some people will be able to give you better answers and direction, but that's a start. Also, as far as being aggressive, that sort of applies to your entire game of poker. The overwhelming consensus for playing poker is you are better off playing aggressive versus passive. Good luck on your poker journey!

+1 Exactly. Also, AT and KJ are decent hands, but what people mean is that you must play them carefully in a 9-player game when deepstacked (since they are vulnerable to being dominated). Both of these hands might be really good starting cards for Heads up - especially with shallower stack sizes.

KJ is sometimes called "The Rookie Hand" because it has probably taken out more beginners than any other hand: it looks enticing to play (and you can still play these hands in many situations), but these are the types of hands that can get you into big trouble if you mis-play them (and many beginners do).

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
p.s. Forgot to mention, "A10" can be written as "AT" since it takes up only one character instead of two characters. For instance, "KT" means "King, Ten" and so on. :)