A straight's on the board (startled)

D

deumsac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop, turn, and river are J Q 10 8 9

Another person (who I classified as having a tight yet aggressive player image, he usually folds a bunch of hands, and he just happened to play this hand, but he also has about 2/3 the amount of chips I do(we're both way above average)...) and I are in this pot, and this is a freeroll in its mid stages (2/3 of the field gone, lots of players left (800 or so).

I had AJ suited, and there is no flush possible on the board. Now, after the river comes, he goes all in.

So here is what had happened.

I had raised 3BB and it had folded over to him. He called, and we went check-check after flop, I bet after the turn 3xBB, he re-raised me to 9xBB, and I felt he was overbetting. So, I called. (mistake?) After the turn, I raised 3xBB, and he went all in with all of his remaining chips.

At this stage, I don't know what to do.

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop, turn, and river are J Q 10 8 9

Another person (who I classified as having a tight yet aggressive player image, he usually folds a bunch of hands, and he just happened to play this hand, but he also has about 2/3 the amount of chips I do(we're both way above average)...) and I are in this pot, and this is a freeroll in its mid stages (2/3 of the field gone, lots of players left (800 or so).

I had AJ suited, and there is no flush possible on the board. Now, after the river comes, he goes all in.

So here is what had happened.

I had raised 3BB and it had folded over to him. He called, and we went check-check after flop, I bet after the turn 3xBB, he re-raised me to 9xBB, and I felt he was overbetting. So, I called. (mistake?) After the turn, I raised 3xBB, and he went all in with all of his remaining chips.

At this stage, I don't know what to do.

His reraise is pretty standard, some will debate, but everywhere I've seen it in print...3x the raisers bet is about standard. If he is really as tight as you say, AK is definately possible and unless you've seen him bluff hands like this before, I would have folded to his reraise. Plus him checking the flop just says to me he's waiting for you to bet, to get a little more value out of his hand. If he would have fired right off the bat, your folding wouldnt have given him any extra loot (which you probably should have done). But then again, with no flush possibilities, he could have just called your bet, hoping to string you along further. But after that river though, Id say he has his straight now for sure if he didn't before.

spore

spore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he has a king you lose otherwise you split. No point in calling the river IMO.

P

pokermatch

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you had Ace Jack, and he is representing that he had a King.
Now, if he had the KIng, he couldn't be raising like that on the turn with
a draw for an straight. He had to have at least a Queen with a high
kicker, or have a straight made. Since he just called before the flop, you
can probably imagine him going for some kind of conected suiter, and
if i had to make a read i would say he had a Queen King... unless you
believe he was bluffing, and in that case you should call him. But what I
do not get is why you should go calling like that with only second highest
pair, while there is a straght possibility.

C

confuzd67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks like maybe KQ so I think I would fold here.

Naked Welder

Naked Welder

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I view this as him needing only one card to beat you. The fact that he checked would lead me to believe he did not have the AK and was seeing if you did. For all we know he could have had a K2o. I would have read that as him having at least a K.

F

Fireblade

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best case scenario is you win half the pot.
Worst case you lose all your stack

By these odds you should fold.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Giving the nature of the style you descibed,I would say automatic fold.
There is no reason to believe that this player does not have at least a queen in there hand.
I'm guessing maybe QQ,QKs.AQ.
something in that nature,
Maybe should have made a bigger raise on the flop,and then seen where you were at if you got reraised or just called.