A/rag

R

Ray Sliva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to know when someone says that he has ace/rag, what is considered a rag? Is it A/ and something less than a facecard or A/and something less than 5? Or does it vary between players? Tks --r

S

sharon mckee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely commit chips with ace rag because usually you always get out kicked.

L

ljstephens11

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on position. Early I would consider anything lower than 9 a rag. Later position, maybe 5.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've seen A8-A2 typically referred to as A-rag in general, but it depends heavily on position and number of players at the table, blind levels and stack size if in a tourney, etc. The more players at the table, the more likely it is that somebody has a better Ace.

HU, even A2 is strong and likely to be the best hand, but A2 UTG at a full table is junk and should be folded pre-flop. However, if you've just taken a beat and you have 2-3BB UTG with A2, you should be pushing and hoping for the best.

I would consider even AJ/AQ as A-rag if you're in the BB with say 25-30 bigs in a typical tourney, there's a raise from EP, two callers, a 3-bet from the button, and a cold 4-bet shove from a tight SB that will cost you your entire stack to call.