A few positional questions

PokerMagpie

PokerMagpie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am trying to get a handle on position, as I am making very serious strides in plugging holes. I would like to ask a few questions to clarify certain things :

1) Why is Under-The-Gun called under the gun ? Is not the Small Blind the first to act ? If anyone is under the gun, would it not be the SB ?

2) Is UTG considered early or middle position in a full ring ? 6 max ?

3) Why is the cut-off called the cut-off ?

4) Is the cut-off considered late position like the button is, in a full ring ? How about 6 max ?

5) In 6 max, is the only middle position seat the one that does not have a name ? For instance :

Button - Last
CO - Late
Seat Doe - Middle
UTG - Early ?
BB - Early
SB - First

I hope that this is not too silly, and would appreciate any replies.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am trying to get a handle on position, as I am making very serious strides in plugging holes. I would like to ask a few questions to clarify certain things :

1) Why is Under-The-Gun called under the gun ? Is not the Small Blind the first to act ? If anyone is under the gun, would it not be the SB ? Based on preflop order UTG is 1st to act.

2) Is UTG considered early or middle position in a full ring ? 6 max ? Early

3) Why is the cut-off called the cut-off ? Who knows? Maybe because anything before that kind of sucks and it's the cutoff for being in good position.

4) Is the cut-off considered late position like the button is, in a full ring ? How about 6 max ? Late in both.

5) In 6 max, is the only middle position seat the one that does not have a name ? For instance :

Button - Last
CO - Late
Seat Doe - Middle
UTG - Early ?
BB - Early
SB - First

It's called the HiJack. So named by Tommy Angelo because he felt a guy he was playing with was stealing from that seat and "hijacking" his button.

I hope that this is not too silly, and would appreciate any replies.

Above.

PokerMagpie

PokerMagpie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks ! That clears up everything.